Extracting Sound Effects

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by ubergeek77, Apr 8, 2015.

1. ubergeek77
    OP

ubergeek77 Post editing world champ.

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    Hi everyone. I seem to be having a little trouble extracting some sound effects from Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance. I would like to get my hands on the menu sound effects, as these will be very helpful in a theme I'm trying to put together. Currently, I have a decrypted and extracted romfs.bin, but I can only find small voiceover clips and background music from the game. I know there is a utility on the forum that will extract the .CWAVs from a RAM dump, but I haven't had a lot of luck using it. I think the ones I'm looking for are in one of these handfuls of .rbin files or the one .bcsar file I found (which is a sound archive), but I'm not getting anywhere with those.

So if anyone could offer some assistance on this, it would be much appreciated.

Margen67 likes this.
  2. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Couldn't you just extract them via a audio cable?

3. ubergeek77
    OP

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    Not without having the title screen music playing in the background. That would be a good option if there were a sound test in the game, but sadly there isn't.

Margen67 likes this.
  4. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Ah, yea that happens in some games, well cheers if you find a way!

5. ubergeek77
    OP

Dec 6, 2014
    United States
    Alright, I managed to get what I needed using Team Fail's CWAV ripper tool. It can properly extract the BCWAV files from the .bcsar I found on the ROM, but it turns out that 3DS Explorer cannot correctly convert these to playable .wav files, which is why I thought it was not working properly. So I just set up foobar2000 with the latest version of vgmstream and I can now play them without issue.

Margen67 likes this.