External HDD HELP!

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by THEacekardFREAK1, Jul 3, 2011.

Jul 3, 2011

External HDD HELP! by THEacekardFREAK1 at 3:54 AM (800 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. THEacekardFREAK1
    OP

Newcomer THEacekardFREAK1 Advanced Member

United States
    Ok I need help with my External HDD. I was using Acronis Disk Director to add space to one of my partitions from some unallocated space. So i clicked Resize and clicked how many GBs i want but when i was resizing i clicked stop because i thought it would take too long. But since I did that my partition is now corrupted because it couldn't complete the Resize. It shows as healthy in Acronis but when I try to resize it says "internal error check log for errors". The partition still shows the correct size (when resized) but in Disk management it says RAW. This partition has some of my important backups from 3 laptops. Windows keeps telling me to format it but i don't want to lose my files. HELP!!!

2. THEacekardFREAK1
    OP

United States
    Bump- warn me if I can't bump..

3. Sop

Banned Sop groovy dude lmao

Australia
    What the? It's only been 1 freaking hour, and no you cannot bump threads.

4. THEacekardFREAK1
    OP

United States
    Ok. Thank you. I really need help though. Sorry if I'm being impatient.

5. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    What file system are we talking about? FAT32? NTFS?

We need more info from you. You cannot expect help when you don't provide any detail.

6. Wombo Combo

Member Wombo Combo That Ain't Falco

United States
    Use Active@ UNDELETE.

7. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Just make new backups? Else try using for example fdisk/gpart to scan the drive for the genuine location of the partitions. Here I even did a google for you [​IMG]
    http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Partition-Rescue.html

[edit]There, your problem solved in 3 hours. What _backup_ could have been that important that 3 hours would be too much of a waiting time? If it really is that important might I suggest first that you NEVER screw around with partitions again and second that you make backups on another disk/medium in general next to the one you have or at the very least make a backup of the backup at the time of weird ass modifications you are about to do (or cancel -.-).

8. THEacekardFREAK1
    OP

United States
    Yes it was NTFS and thanks I'll try that Scorpei. The thing is I didnt have another hard drisk to backup to. So thank you for your help.

[edit] Right now I'm going to try EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard and if it doesn't work I'll try fdisk/gpart.
    [edit2] Well it worked so I can recover the files but I wanted to ask if I can format that partition. The reason I ask is because on Disk Management and Disk Director it displays as 280 GB but on EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard it is displayed as 210 GB (original size before failed resize) and if there is any kind of problems if I format it. And also is the partition going to be 210 GB or 280 GB if I format or will i lose 70 GB worth of unallocated space on my drive. I don't want to do anything besides recover my files until I get a straight answer. Thank you.

9. THEacekardFREAK1
    OP

United States
    Anybody please read my post. I need to know whether or not to format. And if i need this post merged merge it please.

10. Scorpei

Netherlands
    Honestly...... Yes copy your backups to some place then make that drive as new. You now have a rebuilt partition table from data on the drive, better is to do the other way around having a partition table made out of actually knowing the partitions

11. THEacekardFREAK1
    OP

United States
    Thank you Scorpei I'll do that and see of it works. I'll reply with anything out of the ordinary or if it's fixed. Once it's fixed the moderators can close this thread.

12. THEacekardFREAK1
    OP

United States
    Well thanks for the help guys. I just restored my files and deleted the partition and made a new one. I'll be sure not to play around with partition anymore haha. Thank you. Moderators close this thread please.

13. Scorpei

Netherlands
    You can play around with partitions, just don't do it on hardware you feel is mission critical unless you know what you are doing (and make sure you have a replacement / backup handy) [​IMG].