Not open for further replies.

Cloak519

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Judging by the popularity of the 'Rate the song...' thread, it would seem that GBAtemp generally enjoys music. There are a few other 'Music Essentials' threads but this one focuses specifically on albums, as I personally think they're more direct and specific than just saying 'go check out <i>x</i> band'.
The point difference between each category is going to start out very slight in this thread, because I'm not exactly sure how broad our taste in music is... and there is a <i>lot</i> of music out there... if this thread works then the point difference is likely to increase.
More categories will be added when necessary.
In this thread, post albums (<i>and</i> the band(s) that made the album for simplicity) that you consider to be essential and absolutely necessary for all to hear! All genres are welcome - music is about discovery.
<p align=" " class="none">The necessary format for posting music is as follows:

<b>Album Title - Band/Artist - Genre.</b>

Sticking to this format makes it far easier to categorise albums posted.
If recommendations are not made in this format, they may be ignored.</p>Albums can be voted up or voted down; if they are voted up, they earn a higher place on the list; if they are voted down, they earn a lower place on the list.
If there are more negative posts than positive for any given album then it will be erased entirely from the list - but it can always be voted back on.
There is no post limit, but please don't edit existing posts as these edits are likely to go by unnoticed.
Please <i>do not</i> vote more than once for an album.
Danke.
<!--coloro:#9932cc--><span style="color:#9932cc"><!--/coloro--><!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->[Essentials] Albums<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--coloro:#800080--><span style="color:#800080"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Recommended Albums (3 - 4 Votes)<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<p align=" " class="none"></p>
<!--coloro:#ff00ff--><span style="color:#ff00ff"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Noteworthy Albums (1 - 2 Votes)<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<p align=" " class="none"><!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Shallow Grave</b> - The Tallest Man on Earth
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>The Wild Hunt</b> - The Tallest Man on Earth</p>

<!--coloro:#800080--><span style="color:#800080"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Recommended Albums (3 - 4 Votes)<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<!--coloro:#ff00ff--><span style="color:#ff00ff"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Noteworthy Albums (1 - 2 Votes)<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
<p align=" " class="none"><!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>IV</b> - Led Zepplin</p>

<p align=" " class="none"><!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[2]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Dark Side of the Moon</b> - Pink Floyd
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1] <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><b>A Love of Shared Disasters</b> - Crippled Black Phoenix
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1] <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><b>Doolittle</b> - Pixies
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1] <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><b>F♯ A♯ ∞</b> - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1] <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><b>Is This It</b> - The Strokes
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1] <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><b>Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven</b> - Godspeed You! Black Emperor
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Rebecca</b> - Wild and Honey
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Stupid Dream</b> - Porcupine Tree
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>The Wall</b> - Pink Floyd
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Wish You Were Here</b> - Pink Floyd
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1] <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><b>Young Team</b> - Mogwai
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1] <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><b>200 Tons of Bad Luck</b> - Crippled Black Phoenix
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1] <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><b>Source Tags & Codes</b> - …And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead</p>

<p align=" " class="none"><!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Closer</b> - Joy Division
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Turn on the Bright Lights</b> - Interpol
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Unknown Pleasures</b> - Joy Division</p>

<p align=" " class="none"><!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>In Ghost Colours</b> - Cut Copy
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Moderat</b> - Moderat
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Swim</b> - Caribou
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>This Is Happening</b> - LCD Soundsystem</p>

<p align=" " class="none"><!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>A Place to Bury Strangers</b> - A Place to Bury Strangers
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Cryptograms</b> - Deerhunter
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Halcyon Digest</b> - Deerhunter
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Loveless</b> - My Bloody Valentine
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Microcastle</b> - Deerhunter
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Nowhere</b> - Ride
<!--coloro:#708090--><span style="color:#708090"><!--/coloro-->[1]<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> <b>Susurrate</b> - The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa</p>

Oveneise

Trophies
Website
ACAdapterquotes.webs.com
XP
Country
United States
Stupid Dream - Porcupine Tree

Its a great album, by a great band. They aren't really known very well around here, and they make some fantastic music! Give this and their other albums a listen - you won't be disappointed!

Cuelhu

GBATemp's Pepelatz Driver
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Rebecca - Wild & Honey

mhcl0000011621801801024.jpg

Paseek

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My fingers hurt from all this typing, I'll probably add more later

Post-rock:
Crippled Black Phoenix - A Love of Shared Disasters
Crippled Black Phoenix - 200 Tons of Bad Luck
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯ A♯ ∞
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven
Mogwai - Young Team

Post-punk:
Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights
Joy Division - Closer
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

Progressive rock:
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - The Wall

Electronic:
Caribou - Swim
Cut Copy - In Ghost Colours
Moderat - Moderat
LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening

Alternative rock:
...And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead - Source Tags & Codes
The Strokes - Is This It
Pixies - Doolittle

Shoegaze:
Deerhunter - Cryptograms
Deerhunter - Microcastle
Deerhunter - Halcyon Digest
Ride - Nowhere
A Place to Bury Strangers - A Place to Bury Strangers
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa - Susurrate

Folk:
The Tallest Man on Earth - Shallow Grave
The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
This is going to be immense without some imposed order....might be an idea to do some basic genre divisions and require posters to write Album Title - Band - Genre too.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
capsule - Sugarless GiRL
capsule - PLAYER
capsule - KILLER WAVE
Perfume - ?
The Black Mages - The Black Mages
The Black Mages - The Black Mages II: The Skies Above
The Black Mages - The Black Mages III Darkness and Starlight
Lady Gaga - The Fame
Lady Gaga - The Fame Monster
Amy Winehouse - Back to Black
Angela Aki - LIFE
Danni Carlos - Música Nova
Kate Nash - Made of Bricks

Cloak519

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
xist said:
This is going to be immense without some imposed order....might be an idea to do some basic genre divisions and require posters to write Album Title - Band - Genre too.
You're right... perhaps it would be a good idea to create spoilers for each 'raw' genre and have separate lists under each?

R2DJ

Trophies
XP
Country
Absolution - Muse
Appetite for Destruction - Guns N' Roses
Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
Badmotorfinger - Soundgarden
Nevermind - Nirvana
Diary - Sunny Day Real Estate
Master of Puppets - Metallica
Dookie - Green Day
Boston - Boston
Elephant - The White Stripes
Light Grenades - Incubus
Recovery - Eminem
Slash - Slash
Songs for the Deaf - Queens of the Stone Age
Parallel Lines - Blondie
Pinkerton - Weezer
X&Y - Coldplay

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade - Rock/Punk Rock/Emo(I hate this term, but use it if you must)
Green Day - American Idiot - Rock/Punk Rock
Foxy Shazam - Foxy Shazam - Rock?

I'm sure I'll have more later, but those are the best of the best of my library.

Cloak519

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bump for suggestions about how this should work.
Clearly this is going to be huge with unlimited recommendations and the character limit for the original post will kick in after a short while.
Should the number of new recommendations be limited?
Think I'm off to bed for now. This thread was probably a bad idea :/.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
One topic per basic genre....sub-genre's within that individual topic

Cloak519

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
One topic per genre?
That would work. Good thinking! This is going to require some editing, though.
Wonder how I could tie them all into one topic for easy access
unsure.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Walk before you run. Pick one genre and start with that for a week, then move on to the next...you can put an editable index of links at the top of each topic.

Cloak519

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Haha I think I missed 'run' altogether and skipped straight to flying
wink.gif
Thanks for the help! I'm going to sleep now but I'll edit this fail of a topic or sort a new one out sometime soon. Organisation definitely isn't my strong point.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only list albums that have been suggested by 2 or more members, and only create genre threads when this one becomes too large.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Muse:
Black Holes and Revelations - Muse - Rock/Alternative Rock
Absolution - Muse - Rock/Alternative Rock

Lady Gaga:
The Fame - Lady Gaga - Dance/Pop