Error when compiling zlib for HBL compilation

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by mashers, Sep 9, 2015.

1. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Hi all

I'm trying to set up devkitproarm so I can build the Homebrew Launcher from source. According to this page I need to install zlib first (and building HBL indeed fails due to missing zlib.h). I have followed the instructions and downloaded zlib-1.2.8.tar.gz and created the Makefile as described. The Makefile and zlib-1.2.8.tar.gz are in the same folder. When I try to make zlib I get the following output in the terminal:

Code:
    Usage:
      List:    tar -tf <archive-filename>
      Extract: tar -xf <archive-filename>
      Create:  tar -cf <archive-filename> [filenames...]
      Help:    tar --help
    make: *** [all] Error 1
    I've googled the error and it seems to be a generic error indicating that gcc failed, so I have no idea what's going wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

Edit
    Ok, sorted. The bit above the make error was the obvious clue - the tar command in the Makefile was sending invalid parameters to the OS X version of tar, so it was failing and providing guidance on the correct arguments. I changed it from tar -xaf to tar -xf in the Makefile and it's working now :)

2. suloku

suloku GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 28, 2008
  3. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Thank you. What are the portlibs?

4. suloku

suloku GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 28, 2008
    A set of libraries ported to use in 3ds/nds development:
    libpng
    libjpg
    zlib
    libtremor (OGG sound)
    freetype ("It is written in C, designed to be small, efficient, highly customizable, and portable while capable of producing high-quality output (glyph images) of most vector and bitmap font formats."
    sqlite
    mxml (there's also tinyxml2, as included with the hblauncher).

For images, I guess it is better to use native format, but you can look at portal3DS since it uses image files. I haven't looked at that matter since I'm no good with UIs and graphics.