Ermagerd, I eff'd up

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Lanlan, Jun 30, 2012.

Jun 30, 2012

Ermagerd, I eff'd up by Lanlan at 12:42 PM (433 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Lanlan
    OP

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    So here's the deal. I Installed Ubuntu via USB in dual boot with Win7. I partitioned the drive so Ubuntu had like 22 gigs. I didn't want my drive to be split up so I goog'd a partition manager and got EaseUS. I wiped the partition Ubuntu was on, then I merged it with the C: drive. It told me it needed to reboot so I let it reboot and now when I turn my 'puter on it has a black screen with "grub rescue". Kinda like command prompt. I can type shit but I dunno any commands. Someone help me please ;-;

2. Lanlan
    OP

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    LOL i fix'd it. :P

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    For the benefit of the people who google up this thread over the next (x) years, how did you fix it?

My guess is grub rescue had something to do with it, but I detest multi-booting so I'm not sure.

1 person likes this.
  4. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Easiest way to fix a problem like this is to insert your Windows 7 DVD and run "fixmbr" in the repair console. It completely removes GRUB and rewrites the MBR to the WIndows standard.

1 person likes this.
  5. Lanlan
    OP

Member Lanlan Tits

United States
    I did what Jamstruth said actually. I had a Win7 disc lying around, I loaded command prompt via the disc, then ran the following commands: "bootrec /fixmbr" and "bootrec /fixboot"