Enable admin settings?

Jhongerkong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I was at school and instead of working on my project, I decided to install Halo. However, you cant install Halo in a limited account. Is there anyway to bypass this? Ive tried numerous methods like the time/interactive "cmd.exe" and net user localgroups User/ADD (or something like that) in the command prompt but I get an Access Denied message. Im hoping to get a number of ideas posted here then trying them all out on monday. Any suggestions?

BigX

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
1. ask your admin/teacher
2. get l33t haxor skills
3. do the work you are supposed to do...this is a good idea in the long hand.

(sry...not the thing you wanted to know, but come on, education is to help you in the future!) ;-)

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Are you in Vista or XP? I'm not sure if command line with administrator access within vista allows enough control to open a setup.exe windows session.

Best bet would be to log in on an account with administrator priviledges.

If this is an XP system, not sure about Vista, and not on a network domain you could also boot up a CD with linux on it that is made to harvest all the passwords and user accounts off that workstation. I have a copy at work, pm me if you need me to tell you what it is called because I don't remember right off hand. I can also send you a url to it, it is not illegal and it is public domain. I have to use it on the boss' computer sometimes because he uses a non standard password.

Oh btw also sometimes people install XP with no password in the admin account... press ctrl+alt+del twice at the login screen and type administrator to log in and leave the password blank...see if that gets you in.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The other option is to try and make a self contained install and spread it over a disc/USB stick or three. Some of the linux gamesites could help (I personally have tried this) and you may need a crack or two as well. Other games like unreal can be quite easily cut down, will run on the useless machines schools seem to install and sometimes even come with client programs (get a laptop to host).

Basically what version of Windows (earlier the better in my opinion), are they thin clients (everything loaded from network), standard Windows security or something more insidious?

It has to be said though this is a bit risky, while you are doing nothing especially wrong (assuming you leave the systems in a state pretty much the same they came in) it can still be perceived as hacking.

Jhongerkong

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The os on my schools computers is Windows XP (not sure which sp, ill have to check). Nothing really special, just a standard install.

Are you in Vista or XP? I'm not sure if command line with administrator access within vista allows enough control to open a setup.exe windows session.

Best bet would be to log in on an account with administrator priviledges.

If this is an XP system, not sure about Vista, and not on a network domain you could also boot up a CD with linux on it that is made to harvest all the passwords and user accounts off that workstation. I have a copy at work, pm me if you need me to tell you what it is called because I don't remember right off hand. I can also send you a url to it, it is not illegal and it is public domain. I have to use it on the boss' computer sometimes because he uses a non standard password.

Oh btw also sometimes people install XP with no password in the admin account... press ctrl+alt+del twice at the login screen and type administrator to log in and leave the password blank...see if that gets you in.

Theres a password on the admin account. I found it out last year but they seemed to have changed it. Ive pmed for more info on the cd.

The other option is to try and make a self contained install and spread it over a disc/USB stick or three. Some of the linux gamesites could help (I personally have tried this) and you may need a crack or two as well. Other games like unreal can be quite easily cut down, will run on the useless machines schools seem to install and sometimes even come with client programs (get a laptop to host).

Basically what version of Windows (earlier the better in my opinion), are they thin clients (everything loaded from network), standard Windows security or something more insidious?

It has to be said though this is a bit risky, while you are doing nothing especially wrong (assuming you leave the systems in a state pretty much the same they came in) it can still be perceived as hacking.

This seems like a good idea, since it wont really leave much of a trace. As long as it isnt too hard to do. I already have a crack. Nothing special in terms of security or anything, just a standard install of XP. And dont worry about me being caught hacking my schools computer, teachers are pretty oblivious (played though all of Chrono Trigger through my 2nd term.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE(BigX @ Jan 9 2008, 10:33 AM)1. ask your admin/teacher
2. get l33t haxor skills
3. do the work you are supposed to do...this is a good idea in the long hand.

(sry...not the thing you wanted to know, but come on, education is to help you in the future!) ;-)

1. "Hey teach, mind if I play teh online haloz 'stead of studying?"
2. I can run calculator. Does that count?
3. Im doing fine in class, im just doing something to pass the time
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn