Hacking Question EMUMMC vs SYSNAND for banned switch?

metalpsi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Hello, i bought a second hand switch which was already hacked and banned and i am fairly new to the hacking, i am about to use a 2nd sd card to store games that dont fit my first sd card and i read some threads that talked about emummc and sysnand, i have noticed them when i was booting to hekate(im using atmo) and i just clicked on them randomly, do they have any difference for a banned switch? which one i should be using?

Thanks in advance!

Kimarnic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Emummc/Emunand has all the apps and piracy stuff, Sysnand its the normal Switch OS without any piracy stuff.
Use Emunand/Emummc since its why you got a pirated switch.

Kimarnic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If your switch is already banned, there's no need for emummc. Just boot cfw in sysnand. You'll also save about 32Gb in your microsd for anything you want
Is there a guide for that?
And also, you risk getting it bricked and never turning it back on

tom2199

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would also like to know this
Yes that's possible and would be no problem, just make sure that you have a backup of PRODINFO if you used Incognito in the past, though if you're banned I guess that doesn't make a difference. emuNAND is a copy of sysnand, so going the other way around is possible as well.
Edit: and make sure to overwrite boot0 and boot1 as well. If you have a complete backup of the sysnand there should never be a problem even if something is not gonna work as intended.

Last edited by tom2199,

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is the fact the EmuNAND is safer in general. There are bricking NSPs out there. You get one on the EmuNAND you just have to setup the EmuNAND again. A layer of protection. Also with EmuNAND you can copy it to different SD cards and effectively have multiple systems. I currently have a kid friendly EmuNAND so they can have all their Paw patrol and stuff and they cant access my stuff and erase my saves. In the past I have had a A-M and a N-Z EmuNANDs on separate SD cards until I got my 512GB SD.

If your SysNAND is on 3.0.1 or lower. Preserve your fuses. You may have a cold-boot solution someday... 4.0 might work too IIRC

xabier

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emummc/Emunand has all the apps and piracy stuff, Sysnand its the normal Switch OS without any piracy stuff.
Use Emunand/Emummc since its why you got a pirated switch.

You dont seem to understand, emummc is a copy of your infernal nand, mainly used for homebrew safety. You can also run homebrew on sysnand with high ban risk and little brick risk.

As the switch is already banned emummc doesnt make sense, since there is still a very small brick risk i would backup the sysnand and continue with cfw on sysnand with autorcm enabled for convenience.

tom2199

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is the fact the EmuNAND is safer in general. There are bricking NSPs out there. You get one on the EmuNAND you just have to setup the EmuNAND again. A layer of protection. Also with EmuNAND you can copy it to different SD cards and effectively have multiple systems. I currently have a kid friendly EmuNAND so they can have all their Paw patrol and stuff and they cant access my stuff and erase my saves. In the past I have had a A-M and a N-Z EmuNANDs on separate SD cards until I got my 512GB SD.

If your SysNAND is on 3.0.1 or lower. Preserve your fuses. You may have a cold-boot solution someday... 4.0 might work too IIRC
If you want multiple systems, yeah go for emuNAND I'm using one myself. But if you have a nand backup you're safe from any bricks, fuses can be preserved by using Autorcm this has nothing to do with emuNAND.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want multiple systems, yeah go for emuNAND I'm using one myself. But if you have a nand backup you're safe from any bricks, fuses can be preserved by using Autorcm this has nothing to do with emuNAND.

I am aware of the fuse situation. It is better to brick an EmuNAND than a SysNAND IMHO.. easier. Less flashing of the NAND. I would rather burn out the SD than the NAND.

I am not seeing a plus side to ditching EmuNAND. Lots of advantages to keeping it.

And keeping the SysNAND frozen in time back on 3.0 is awesome if you like Pegaswitch or you want cold-boot. I know AutoRCM is how you protect the fuses. I have been doing this since day 1. I know you can restore a backup. If you wanna go online, then you can update the SysNAND. If you don't wanna go online I still think EmuNAND is the way to go.

Personally I am QuadBooting right now using the same EmuNAND for SXOS/Atmosphere. I am interested in the DragonMMC then Ill just have multiple SysNANDS...

tom2199

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am aware of the fuse situation. It is better to brick an EmuNAND than a SysNAND IMHO.. easier. Less flashing of the NAND. I would rather burn out the SD than the NAND.

I am not seeing a plus side to ditching EmuNAND. Lots of advantages to keeping it.

And keeping the SysNAND frozen in time back on 3.0 is awesome if you like Pegaswitch or you want cold-boot. I know AutoRCM is how you protect the fuses. I have been doing this since day 1. I know you can restore a backup. If you wanna go online, then you can update the SysNAND. If you don't wanna go online I still think EmuNAND is the way to go.

Personally I am QuadBooting right now using the same EmuNAND for SXOS/Atmosphere. I am interested in the DragonMMC then Ill just have multiple SysNANDS...
How often do you brick that you're wary of wearing out your nand? As I said, just use what you want, but if you're banned (or using Pegaswitch, but let's be real that's an edgecase) there's little reason to do so, imo. If I were banned I would rather use the extra space on my sd card for installs. emuNAND is not in itself any safer then sysnand if you have a backup.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How often do you brick that you're wary of wearing out your nand? As I said, just use what you want, but if you're banned (or using Pegaswitch, but let's be real that's an edgecase) there's little reason to do so, imo. If I were banned I would rather use the extra space on my sd card for installs. emuNAND is not in itself any safer then sysnand if you have a backup.

Actually, EmuNAND is still safer than SysNAND. While in EmuNAND your SysNAND is not engaged. No wear and tear on the NAND chip. NANDs have limited read/writes. The space EmuNAND consumes is fine to protect the Switch. Besides you can install to that space...

What is something SysNAND can do that EmuNAND can't? Nothing. I still see no plus side to eliminating EmuNAND

Last edited by mikefor20,

tom2199

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Actually, EmuNAND is still safer than SysNAND. While in EmuNAND your SysNAND is not engaged. No wear and tear on the NAND chip. NANDs have limited read/writes. The space EmuNAND consumes is fine to protect the Switch. Besides you can install to that space...

What is something SysNAND can do that EmuNAND can't? Nothing. I still see no plus side to eliminating EmuNAND
Why are you so obsessed about the tear? I know that nand have limited reads/writes but other components inside the switch do have a lifespan as well. I wouldn't care about that, it's a device for practical use if you would care about the longevity you wouldn't use the switch at all. There is still some space that the system needs, and it is more cumbersome having to install to emunand and sdcard if you want to use that space optimally.
Besides, if the internal nand should die a decade into the future, you still would be able to use emunand. So there's that.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why are you so obsessed about the tear? I know that nand have limited reads/writes but other components inside the switch do have a lifespan as well. I wouldn't care about that, it's a device for practical use if you would care about the longevity you wouldn't use the switch at all. There is still some space that the system needs, and it is more cumbersome having to install to emunand and sdcard if you want to use that space optimally.
Besides, if the internal nand should die a decade into the future, you still would be able to use emunand. So there's that.

Did an EmuNAND sleep with your sister? Stop trying to kill it. It works great. It is easier to replace. Safer. Has no real downside. Until I have multiple NANDS this is the way to go. I use a 5TB HDD for my bulk storage anyway. Works great. What's the advantage you see to killing EmuNAND and going to SysNAND?

Reactions: Alessandro98

tom2199

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Did an EmuNAND sleep with your sister? Stop trying to kill it. It works great. It is easier to replace. Safer. Has no real downside. Until I have multiple NANDS this is the way to go. I use a 5TB HDD for my bulk storage anyway. Works great. What's the advantage you see to killing EmuNAND and going to SysNAND?
Of course it works great and if you play online/are not banned that's a very good reason to use EmuNAND. Other than that, I don't see a reason, as I said you loose space and have to juggle around installs, it is a more complicated setup no doubt about that. I don't know what can happen for example if you eject the sdcard while in EmuNAND as I've never tried it, but that could be a potential risk. If one of my friends would buy a banned switch I sure as hell wouldn't setup an EmuNAND for them, for what reason? It's more complicated for them without a benefit.
Look at the 3ds Scene for example, EmuNAND had it's use in the early days as that would mean you can leave the sysnand on an older vurneable version. But eventually the reason to use one died off and most users stopped using it.

nachuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

I absolutely highly doubt Nintendo would let that happen on the Switch lifespan
I still see no plus on using emunand while being banned, you can easily restore backups on the sysnand and emunands use 32GB of storage on your SD card, they are both as safe

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course it works great and if you play online/are not banned that's a very good reason to use EmuNAND. Other than that, I don't see a reason, as I said you loose space and have to juggle around installs, it is a more complicated setup no doubt about that. I don't know what can happen for example if you eject the sdcard while in EmuNAND as I've never tried it, but that could be a potential risk. If one of my friends would buy a banned switch I sure as hell wouldn't setup an EmuNAND for them, for what reason? It's more complicated for them without a benefit.
Look at the 3ds Scene for example, EmuNAND had it's use in the early days as that would mean you can leave the sysnand on an older vurneable version. But eventually the reason to use one died off and most users stopped using it.

The EmuNAND is a copy of the SysNAND. While it's true its 32GB you can use most of it to install software. About 2GB is what the system takes. EmuNAND is still safer. Just because you are not worried about it doesn't mean it's not more vulnerable. Just like these fools who don't wear a mask in public because they think they know better.

Juggle installs? WTF

Last edited by mikefor20,

nachuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The EmuNAND is a copy of the SysNAND. While it's true its 32GB you can use most of it to install software. About 2GB is what the system takes. EmuNAND is still safer. Just because you are not worried about it doesn't mean it's not more vulnerable. Just like these fools who don't wear a mask in public because they think they know better.

Juggle installs? WTF
no, emunand being banned is more like wearing a second mask when you already have a mask (your sysnand backup)
second masks are almost useless

Reactions: tom2199

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: this one +1