Gaming DSi immediate shutdown when turned on

Duo8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
(I think I've asked this before but I'm gonna make a new thread anyway)

I have an old DSi that shuts down whenever I turn it on. Specifically, the bottom screem flashes then it immediately turns off.
Interestingly, if I remove the wifi board, it stays on, but with a black screen. Also, if I hold the L button, it will work perfectly fine until I release it.

Any help is appreciated.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does it charge/what does it do when you try to charge it? From what you said it is probably not a simple blown fuse but it is part of the standard diagnostic list.

When you say you hold L and it boots and works fine until L is released? I have yet to see this for a DSi but I see it all the time for any number of other electrical devices -- it is usually not so much the holding a button (though for some things it can be) but that the force goes on into the rest of the board and makes a circuit or breaks a short and allows it to work. Possible similar story for removing the wifi board but that could also be other things (there is a reason you will readily find wifi replacement modules for it online).

Were I doing it and willing to spend the time I would next consider trying to have it boot but not in the case, if that is even possible for a DSi. Alternatively if you have another you can use for this then try swapping parts around.

Duo8

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Does it charge/what does it do when you try to charge it? From what you said it is probably not a simple blown fuse but it is part of the standard diagnostic list.

When you say you hold L and it boots and works fine until L is released? I have yet to see this for a DSi but I see it all the time for any number of other electrical devices -- it is usually not so much the holding a button (though for some things it can be) but that the force goes on into the rest of the board and makes a circuit or breaks a short and allows it to work. Possible similar story for removing the wifi board but that could also be other things (there is a reason you will readily find wifi replacement modules for it online).

Were I doing it and willing to spend the time I would next consider trying to have it boot but not in the case, if that is even possible for a DSi. Alternatively if you have another you can use for this then try swapping parts around.
It charges just fine.

There is nothing particularly interesting or unusual below the L button, so I don't think that's it. As for the wifi board, I found that if I insert it after powering on will cause the system to shutdown like usual.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: There is some really odd DS games I liked but not sure others would like them lol