Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP

DSHobro 0.1a released

Homebrew web browser, alpha version

This homebrew is different from the other existing web browsers (hence why some don't like to call it a web browser). Unlike Okiwi or DSOrganize, DSHobro requires a PC application to function since the HTML rendering isn't done on the DS. Rendering HTML on the DS itself is made quite challenging by the limited power of the console, so again I'd like to address my most sincere congratulations to DragonMinded and the authors of Okiwi.

So basically what this homebrew does: it connects to the PC application, which downloads the page and sends a copy to the DS (under the form of a JPG image). Some people like to compare it to VNC but it is wrong - the PC application stays in the tray and doesn't show on the screen, so you can use both the DS browser and your PC at the same time.
Needless to say, you don't need to be at home to use the browser. If you're running the PC app, you can connect from anywhere (eg. in a WiFi hotspot) as long as you know your PC's IP address.
In its current state, DSHobro isn't very useful per se, but if you're as curious as I am you might still want to give it a try.

icon11.gif
Visit my devblog for more info

icon11.gif
Check this new YouTube video of DSHobro in action

download.gif
Download DSHobro 0.1a from GBAtemp.net
Warning: the ZIP file contains a .exe application so I recommend you do not download it from anywhere else. You can also check the CRC32 of the .exe file for more security, it should be F79A9AA1.
Note: the homebrew doesn't need to load or save anything from the flash memory, so you don't need to DLDI patch it.

Wolfsclaw

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Very nice, thanks for the work!
Things i noticed:
- unreadable fonts most of the time, would be great to do some zooming
- how do i scroll? it says i can scroll with the d-pad, however, every button brings up the key input and there seems to be no way to get rid of it again except loading the page again
- also can't scroll with the stylus
- cant input in any forms

I guess you knew all these already..
Still good lookin' out =)

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
yeah, as I said on my blog:

myself said:
So, what's available in this version?
- connection & authentication
- visit any website by entering the URL with the virtual keyboard
- you can clic on the page

See, it's very basic. I haven't implemented scrolling yet, and I also need to make a zoom feature, because for now it's absolutely impossible to read the text See, this is what I like to call a "proof of concept" version. In its current state you won't have any real use for it, but you can still have a little fun and find the thousands of bugs. Yeah, it's not very stable but this is mainly due to the relative lack of reliability of the DS WiFi libraries & wrappers, and more generally the DS WiFi hardware components.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
NetixRiqua: in this version, yeah! but in later versions it will be hidden, and the traffic will be encrypted, so no worries
wink.gif

on a side note, don't try to use 100% for the image quality because it produces buggy JPG images!

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
when you click on the DS screen, the position of the stylus (where you clicked) is sent to the PC app, and if there was a link at that position, the new page loads and is refreshed on the DS.
If there wasn't anything at that position then the image (on the DS) doesn't refresh.

Nemo_DS

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
I've been trying it till now, and i can say it's a really nice app
smile.gif

Thanks for the hb, Costello!

Besides, i want to remember to everybody to use own routers ip, making a cmd -> ipconfig
tongue.gif

I didn't do it, so ip was wrong, it didn't connect
tongue.gif

Greets.
biggrin.gif

Volsfan91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, thanks a lot... I can easily see the great deal of work that has gone into this. Also, thanks for making sure it supports everyone.

Does this work with WEP? I can't get it to work.

Nemo_DS

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
Wow, thanks a lot... I can easily see the great deal of work that has gone into this. Also, thanks for making sure it supports everyone.

Does this work with WEP? I can't get it to work.
It does. I use ASUS WL-167G with classic WLAN center, one used for modded Nintendo WiFi keys, too.
rolleyes.gif
Open, 10 char Wep..

Try to connect with a game or a homebrew firstly, then go for the browser. Should work.

James Kudo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everytime I try connecting, my DS recieves this error:

"Connection closed by host.
Authentication process failed.
Press any button to continue"

and DSHobro Server recieves:

"Violation d'acces a l'address 00495E0C dans le module 'DSHobro.exe'. Lecture de l'adress 00000168."

Any help? :|

Volsfan91

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dude, I got connected and this sweet as heck. This has quickly become my favorite non-emulator homebrew.
smile.gif
The only thing I can't get to work is scrolling. When I use the d-pad, it brings up the keyboard.

Nemo_DS

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
yeah, as I said on my blog:

myself said:
So, what's available in this version?
- connection & authentication
- visit any website by entering the URL with the virtual keyboard
- you can clic on the page

See, it's very basic. I haven't implemnted scrolling yet, and I also need to make a zoom feature, because for now it's absolutely impossible to read the text See, this is what I like to call a "proof of concept" version. In its current state you won't have any real use for it, but you can still have a little fun and find the thousands of bugs. Yeah, it's not very stable but this is mainly due to the relative lack of reliability of the DS WiFi libraries & wrappers, and more generally the DS WiFi hardware components.

QUOTE(Volsfan91 @ Apr 2 2007, 02:32 PM)Dude, I got connected and this sweet as heck. This has quickly become my favorite non-emulator homebrew.
smile.gif
The only thing I can't get to work is scrolling. When I use the d-pad, it brings up the keyboard.
Read post below, scrolling hasn't been implementated yet ^^

spillo

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
compliments! I have tried on G6lite...how beta is excellent! some fault has, but I count in an improvement in future!!!
biggrin.gif

ps. you excuse if English is not correct, I am Italian
wink.gif

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Everytime I try connecting, my DS recieves this error:

"Connection closed by host.
Authentication process failed.
Press any button to continue"

and DSHobro Server recieves:

"Violation d'acces a l'address 00495E0C dans le module 'DSHobro.exe'. Lecture de l'adress 00000168."

Any help? :|

If you disconnect the DS, you have to exit the PC application and restart it, because there's no proper disconnection notification at the moment. So try restarting the PC app, and reboot the DS.
Also hm make sure your firewall accepts incoming and ougtoing traffic from the application?

I can't help much more sorry... it's a very buggy app really, I did it (and the ds homebrew) in only 2 days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Sounds good actually.