tempBOT

The GBAtemp Robot
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
DSerial Edge
NDS Hardware with serial I/O capabilities
Aside from the DSbrut, we have now the DSerial Ede, with slot-1 microSD support.

It has similar features as DSerial2, with the following new ones:

* Boots NDS files from microSD and high capacity microSDHC cards
* Complete SLOT-1 solution (don't need anything in SLOT-2)
* 2 x UART serial ports (compared to 1 x for DSerial2)
* 48MHz operation (compared to 24MHz for DSerial2)
* Remote USB debugging using GDB in devkitARM
* Includes USB microSD reader

Adapters are available at the beginning of November. But they encourage to pre-order now to guarantee a spot, since initial quantities will be limited.

Pre-orders will be available at Electrobee.

Please visit that site for more information.

Contributed by Garcimak

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
like most stuff with DIRECT hardware interfacing they are used for debugging/midi applications/other hardware addons/external hardware usage such as using the DS to control stuff via the interface cable etc
smile.gif

from the link above

QUOTE said:
Description
DSerial Edge is a card that provides USB client, two serial UARTs and many GPIO pins. It enables you to interface NDS to MIDI keyboards, servos, sensors, GPS receivers, computers and more.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
basically, you can do whatever you want with it, from controlling a flashing LED to a giant robot with lasers for eyes and a heart as bla.... oh, im getting carried away again....

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So with the microSD slot, you could load roms, and with the PC interfacing, you could use a program like WiiRD? (Similar to USB Gecko for Wii)

But then again, not too much point because you can emulate the DS, but great for people developing DS games.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can it play n64 games? lol I'm joking.

This thing looks too high tech for me. It looks so fragile too how it sticks out the DS.. it can snap in half.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see a revision that has a header + dongle for the "dev" section of the board. So devs don't constantly have to worry about the PCB snapping off. Plus that huge square of headers? I'd prefer a single-line design.

BUT!

I'm no good with this stuff yet. I plan on majoring in it when I get to college. Perhaps we can work on this platform =DD

Flozem

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Lol - this is getting crazy... Next thing they are gonna add an Nvidia 8800 GTS and X-FI Extreme to that external board...
rolleyes.gif

KendoKhan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so can you upload your songs from korg-ds to the computer with this? thats the only thing i could think of that i would want this for if you can.

Trophies
XP
Country
By looking at the pic, I really thought there'd be a video output port... Or is it nearing the point wherein outputting the DS on a nearby TV would be available to everyone?

bobwalrus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am wondering the same thing. I have a decent camcorder, though it's a pain to record from since I'm trying to make things as flawless as possible. Any help on whether this device is capable of such is greatly appreciated.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
can we expect it to be based on the EDGE? It does have the Cyclo/Edge-style cutouts in the side, after all...

The Compiler

Trophies
Website
www.acidmods.com
XP
Country
Swaziland
KendoKhan said:
so can you upload your songs from korg-ds to the computer with this? thats the only thing i could think of that i would want this for if you can.
Simply answer: No
Complicated answer: Basically you could, but it would you require to be really good at rom hacking, hack the rom and develop a thing to send the songs via the DSerial

2002120141 said:
By looking at the pic, I really thought there'd be a video output port... Or is it nearing the point wherein outputting the DS on a nearby TV would be available to everyone?
bobwalrus said:
I am wondering the same thing. I have a decent camcorder, though it's a pain to record from since I'm trying to make things as flawless as possible. Any help on whether this device is capable of such is greatly appreciated.
It won't be possible to use that as a video output (okay, in your self-coded homebrews you maybe COULD do it.)

QUOTE(Fat D @ Oct 28 2008, 02:34 PM)
can we expect it to be based on the EDGE? It does have the Cyclo/Edge-style cutouts in the side, after all...
Err... why is it named DSerial EDGE, eh?
wink.gif

So, if anyone hasn't get what it does yet:
You can hook up any devices like a robot, a gps, bluetooth, a keyboard, ... to your DS and use them in your homebrews. You could e.g. control a camera with it. Or code a driver for a keyboard for DSLinux (maybe I'll do that).

Oh, mine is already shipped by the way
smile.gif

Florian

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • light27 @ light27:
    fun fact
  • light27 @ light27:
    the first time i ever played on a wii u EVER was when I was getting my ear tubes removed
  • light27 @ light27:
    i was playing wii party
  • light27 @ light27:
    u*
  • light27 @ light27:
    but i only got to play for like
  • light27 @ light27:
    3 seconds
  • light27 @ light27:
    younger me would've never thought that I would have a wii u now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @light27, i wanted a Wii u as a kid when i watched a Mario kart 8 commercial on tv
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I had a Wii-U it sucked lol
    Even hacked it sucked lol
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    nah the Wii U wasn't bad
    +1
    the hardware is good
    The controller sucked
    it has good games, just not enough of them
    +1
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    the indie games on wii u were amazing though
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    and also some of nintendo's first party games
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    some of the best selling games on the switch are wii u ports (that are priced way too high
    like come on 60 for a game thats a decade old??)
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @ColdBlitz, i forgot breath of the wild released for the Wii u
    $60 for a game that's a decade old might be unheard of on PC but actually is not uncommon on consoles
    +1
    especially Nintendo because they only ever lower the price of games when they do a greatest hits/platinum hits/players choice re-release
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, and the HD collections released for 7th gen consoles too
    but they don't seem to have done any of those for the switch yet and maybe never will
  • ColdBlitz @ ColdBlitz:
    I think we all forgot breath of the wild released for the wii u tbh
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @The Real Jdbye, tbh the HD collections are more justified since they include more than just 1 game per copy
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @The Real Jdbye, tbh the HD collections are more justified since they include more than just 1...