Hacking DS Phat - Top Screen Problem

SkankButta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've done some research, but nothing seems to have answered my problem, so hopefully someone here can guide me in the right direction.

My DS started periodically losing the top screen. It would just go white without any images. If I moved around the top screen, it would come back for a bit. Now it is white and isn't coming back. My hinge is intact and doesn't appear to need replacing.

Does anyone have an idea on what could be the issue? I am thinking of picking up a new top screen from DX, but if that isn't necessary I don't want to throw away the money? Could it be a fuse or a ribbon cable? If there is an issue with a cable, I would expect it to be the cable that runs into the hinge since I used to be able to get the screen working by gently moving the top screen around.

Thanks for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SkankButta said:
I've done some research, but nothing seems to have answered my problem, so hopefully someone here can guide me in the right direction.

My DS started periodically losing the top screen. It would just go white without any images. If I moved around the top screen, it would come back for a bit. Now it is white and isn't coming back. My hinge is intact and doesn't appear to need replacing.

Does anyone have an idea on what could be the issue? I am thinking of picking up a new top screen from DX, but if that isn't necessary I don't want to throw away the money? Could it be a fuse or a ribbon cable? If there is an issue with a cable, I would expect it to be the cable that runs into the hinge since I used to be able to get the screen working by gently moving the top screen around.

Thanks for any help. It is greatly appreciated.

could just be a cracked/damaged cable you can buy these separate from Deal Extreme for the PHAT
smile.gif

the ribbon loops through the centre so maby it got caught and split!?

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is what happened to me, though i thought it was because on of the hinges broke on me
i used to put paper to keep it to where it still had the top screen, see if that works for you as a temporary fix until you fix it permanently (or get a new ds)
i found moving the paper around helpful to get it to show an image.

i got a dslite for christmas and am loving it, though i sure am going to miss my original ds :S

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
MFDC12 said:
that is what happened to me, though i thought it was because on of the hinges broke on me
i used to put paper to keep it to where it still had the top screen, see if that works for you as a temporary fix until you fix it permanently (or get a new ds)
i found moving the paper around helpful to get it to show an image.

i got a dslite for christmas and am loving it, though i sure am going to miss my original ds :S

if you have your old busted one still ...recycle it buy a $6 casing for it and replace the case and sell it on or pass it on to a family member there are some great guides on here
wink.gif

SkankButta

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm going to take it apart tonight and see if the ribbon cable is intact. Maybe it loosened up or something, who knows.

I already own a new DS Lite, but want to fix this up and either sell it or give it to a family member. I know I can get the cables for it, so hopefully that is all that's wrong.

MFDC12, what do you mean about putting paper to keep the top screen? Where exactly are you putting that paper?

Thanks guys for the help!

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SkankButta said:
I'm going to take it apart tonight and see if the ribbon cable is intact. Maybe it loosened up or something, who knows.

I already own a new DS Lite, but want to fix this up and either sell it or give it to a family member. I know I can get the cables for it, so hopefully that is all that's wrong.

MFDC12, what do you mean about putting paper to keep the top screen? Where exactly are you putting that paper?

Thanks guys for the help!

If you have never taken a PHAT DS apart

Be careful with the ribbon connectors before you try disconnect them they are held down with flip up cable clamps!

Here's a reallygood guide written by my mate JMR over at SCdev link
smile.gif

its the same guide I used to replace the shell on my son's Phat
smile.gif

MFDC12

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kobykaan said:
if you have your old busted one still ...recycle it buy a $6 casing for it and replace the case and sell it on or pass it on to a family member there are some great guides on here
wink.gif

i might actually do that
smile.gif

QUOTE(SkankButta @ Jan 1 2009, 05:31 PM) MFDC12, what do you mean about putting paper to keep the top screen? Where exactly are you putting that paper?

i had placed a paper where the red is circled on this picture (picture not of my ds):
13ypil0.jpg

well, a little higher than that, but its the general area.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr