Ds on Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Phreeq, Aug 11, 2008.

Aug 11, 2008

Ds on Wii? by Phreeq at 9:03 PM (2,254 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. Phreeq
    OP

Newcomer Phreeq Advanced Member

United States
    I was wondering if there is a homebrew app being developed for playing DS on the wii, Not an Emu, but more like a display.

Anyone know anything?

Sorry if this was already posted.

2. Monster On Strin

Member Monster On Strin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't think so anyways why would you need it, seems kinda useless.

3. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Sort of like the Gameboy player for the Gamecube? That would be nice! It would probably be pretty hard on the DS side though, as you'd have to have a flash cart. Even if you did have a flash cart, the only ones that let you use Wii connectivity are the CycloDS and I think Supercard DS One. So we're still a little ways off.

4. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    Well, someone found a way of playing the Wii in a DS, but that required a lot of wires. I don't think that one is in development, because it would look pixelated because it would have zoom.

5. Phreeq
    OP

Newcomer Phreeq Advanced Member

United States
    I meant the other way around Livin in a box.

6. Livin in a box

Member Livin in a box Livin' in a cardboard box

United Kingdom
    I know what you meant, but I was saying that it's possible to run the Wii on a DS. It's on YouTube somewhere.

7. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I suppose you could build a jumbotron DS and display that through a TV:
    http://home.comcast.net/~olimar/DS/jumbotron/

Failing that a clever use of video streaming, ds2key (the app I sense is at the heart of the thing Livin in a box talks of) and a PC-TV hookup might do something.

GBplayer simple though, not a chance and nothing on the horizon.

Re "Wii connectivity" I am not sure that would be necessary (especially now with decent homebrew on both consoles), you can be sure it would be on the features list of every cart still active if something like that happened.

8. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    I remember something in a Nintendo Power saying it's been done (by Nintendo peeps, of course) but it just wasn't much fun and didn't play or look very good.

9. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    wii on a DS is just using the screen to play I'd imagine...not running the emulated hardware COMPLETELY UNRELATED DISCUSSION

DS on Wii? Looks crap because it would be zoomed? Whoever says that is crazy, Everything else you play is stretched and zoomed, gb and gba for instance, and you play them, what the hell. But maybe think about if using the wiimote would be awkward or not, and how efficient it would be. DS+flashcart is cheap, and the experience is different to anything an emulator would give, so don't be stingy [​IMG]

10. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    "Looks crap because it would be zoomed" (I realise it may not really apply to the content of that quote)

DS resolution is 256x192 multiplied by 2 so 256 x 384
    NTSC resolution is 720 x 480
    PAL resolution is 720 x 576

Ignoring horizontal resolution and assuming no "bezel" then for NTSC that is a 25% increase,
    PAL is 33% (actually 1/3)
    This is well within the realms of even the simplest scaling algorithm (OK maybe not a quite raw nearest neighbour algorithm).

And for giggles a 720p TV (1280x720) or around 80%, a bit harder and may require something a bit more special but still well with the realms of possibility.

11. borka

Newcomer borka Advanced Member

Russia
    Well... NDS emulator works with framedrops etc on P4-2Ghz, decently on C2Duo 2.4... So, there is no horsepower in wii to emulate NDS. Alas...

12. Social0

Member Social0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Belgium
    there is horsepower.

IF a system has to be 3x as powerful then the Wii can do it.

13. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    If it happens, Nintendo will probably do it, download some awesome DS channel on your Wii, and you can magically stream the footage and sound from your DS to your Wii

Would be cool to finally record footage without cam work

14. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    :-)
    you really do not have any clue about what you are speaking, do you ?

first, 3x CPU power is far from being enough to emulate a whole system like the DS at decent speed

oh, and screen resolution is certainly the less important issue if such emulator eventually comes out: the wii/gamecube can handle pretty all display resolutions up to 720x480, the video hardware is completely configurable... just look at the GBA/GB/GBC emulators, the snes was 256*224, the master system was 256x192 (like the NDS)... this has never been a problem for emulators

this has nothing to deals witch multiplication "factor" or scaling algorithms craps :-)

as already said, problem #1 is CPU power, just look what kind of PC you need to enjoy DS emulation... and stop dreaming

15. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    re: emulator power. I sense part of this is the usual pitfall of get it working (which also takes place alongside reverse engineering) and then optimise (at which point 90% of your users have caught up hardware wise and it becomes something of a moot point for some). No argument that it would not be an easy feat but (DeSmuME appeared on the psp after all and while it is not really very playable purely from a speed point of view the point stands still) also 3x, 10x and so on are but very rough rules of thumb.
    Furthermore PCs have an underlying OS and associated junk to run which most home consoles lack in some way.

Power does come into it though as there are two processors and timing probably does not have to be as tight as say the snes sometimes has to that is the real killer.

Also the starlet is an ARM processor (and I am going on speculation right now as I have not studied starlet in much depth yet) so there is the potential for an interpreter or even a hypervisor of sorts.

re: screen resolution. Personally I would just use borders but I was trying to make a point about it not necessarily being as pixelated as some might think (although if nintendo or some of those with making upscaling players come along then maybe pixel city will return).

16. Volkov

Member Volkov GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    *sigh*

It's about how well it is coded not completely on on system specs...

17. Jademalo

Member Jademalo GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    my god is everyone in this thread thick?

we arent talking about an emulator priod.

we are talking about a wa to display the DSscreens on the TV using some sort of wii connectivity so we can record DS videos ith ease.
    IGN has a device, so does gamespot and nintgendo etc. that will stream a DS on the TV.

We are trying t make one.

Discuss.

18. FAST6191

pip
    United Kingdom
    @Jademalo as happens on occasion the thread went off course a bit, primarily as the original question was already answered. It boiled down to
    There is no official way like the GBplayer
    Analog loop is a bad idea for video.*
    You can intercept the video feed (hence the link to the jumbotron DS) and maintain control with something like DS2key.
    To display via wii should be possible (there are plenty of streaming devices and wii homebrew being the way it is means they might not even be necessary). The overall resolution of the DS is well within the realms of algorithms or it could just be bordered like everything else and still be sensible.

*The review things are to my knowledge simple analog loop type devices, basically a camera in a a box. I am in the middle of some film watching and a simple search does not drag it up but from what I recall the device was grey and looked a bit like a childrens periscope. Failing they do have emulators (the early leak of ensata is sure to be upgraded a bit by now).

Failing that we have emulation we were discussing.

19. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba