Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
DriveKey Review
100% solderless Wii modchip
drivekey.jpg

The GBAtemp review of the DriveKey is now up! This Wii modchip is completely solderless which should allow those who don't know how to solder to mod their systems.

The chip is installed in-line between the DVD drive ribbon cable and the rest of the system. It is a simple to install chip with a range of standard features including: Wii region override, full GameCube region free and a Wii update blocker. Check out the review below to see how the DriveKey performs.

Many thanks to OzModChips for supplying the Drivekey for review. OzModChips is an Australian based site that sells Wii modchips and DS/DSi flashcards. The owner is a regular on the GBAtemp forums and has been kind enough to extend a free shipping coupon to all GBAtemp members. To get your free shipping with OzModChips simply enter the coupon: gbatWC , when ordering (Australians automatically recieve free shipping so the coupon is not needed for them).

icon11.gif
 DriveKey Review

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I didn't know it was locked to 3x like DVDx...
In that case, I'll not get a DriveKey since the reason why i'm not using Backup loaders is because of the 3x speed

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd go flatmii 125 instead of this thing. I already have a d2ckey in my wii, but there's friends of mine who could use one of these things since they're not interested in hacking on wii: just playing backups.

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
nice review, and that drivekey has a briliant way to enter config mode, far better than my d2pro, with a stupid disc...

webjedi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great review and looks to be a great product.

It would be great to have more game test results - such as Smash Brothers, Rock Band, etc. Does anyone know if the 3x speed effects them?

Thanks.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
webjedi said:
Great review and looks to be a great product.

It would be great to have more game test results - such as Smash Brothers, Rock Band, etc. Does anyone know if the 3x speed effects them?

Thanks.

Indeed.. good review WildWon, but you lose a point for not testing Super Smash Brothers Brawl.. which is the only dual layer DVD game out there, something important to be tested IMO.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
i would think that the flatmii is better than this but it still is a good item nonetheless
ozmodchips is doing a gr8 job keeping these but i feel tht opening the wii is something which is not as easy as using an R4 or SC etc

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sonicandtails said:
Do they plan on getting a streaming audio fix working on this thing?

No.

CockroachMan said:
Indeed.. good review WildWon, but you lose a point for not testing Super Smash Brothers Brawl.. which is the only dual layer DVD game out there, something important to be tested IMO.

Brawl works fine.

QUOTE(dsrules @ May 24 2009, 03:00 PM)
do it works on all current versions of Wii?

Yes.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Hemm, I just thought of something...

I know some modchips cause problems with dvdx etc, does drivekey have the same issues (I wonder, because it's a different style to the standard style modchips).

Someone can try by installing dvdx and then trying an app that uses it, vbagx or another tantric emulator, or an earlier version of mplayer (since the new one has more advanced dvdx fixes).

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OzModChips offered the Tempcast one of these but for some reason my reply email kept on bouncing back to me.

wireles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I ordered such a drivekey, so i'm still a noob this time. I have a simple question for the pro's amongst you all: do i have to do the twilight hack (or install the homebrew channel) to play backup games??

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
wireles said:
I ordered such a drivekey, so i'm still a noob this time. I have a simple question for the pro's amongst you all: do i have to do the twilight hack (or install the homebrew channel) to play backup games??

No, to play games it will do with only the DriveKey.

wireles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Satangel said:
wireles said:

oh i see, but i'm sure i read it somewhere, do you need to install to play games with older chips (not the drivekey)?
Also don't you need the homebrew channel to get fixes if certain games don't work
And last question, how do you update the firmware of the drivekey (or doesn't it work that way?)

ps. Danku

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
wireles said:
Satangel said:
wireles said:

oh i see, but i'm sure i read it somewhere, do you need to install it if you have a chip that isn't the drivekey?
Also don't you need the homebrew channel to get fixes if certain games don't work
And last question, how do you update the firmware of the drivekey (or doesn't it work that way?)

ps. Danku

If you have a drivekey, and you don't care about homebrew, you can just download the games and plug them right in. If the games ask you to update, do that.
You don't need the homebrewchannel to boot games, let's make that very clear IF you have a chip.

I don't know how to update it, probably via an SD card or via a DVD.

Geen probleem!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi