Drive Broken- does not 'pull' or 'push' discs; disc(s?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by FireEmblemGuy, Dec 21, 2008.

1. FireEmblemGuy
    OP

Member FireEmblemGuy Finally hit 1000 posts

United States
    I ended up dropping my Wii last night, and while it looked like there was nothing wrong I apparently messed some shit up in the drive. My brother put in his Animal Crossing GC game, which didn't go in properly and started making grinding noises. When he figured out he couldn't play or eject it, he tried to 'remedy the situation' by jamming the Wii-sized RE4 disc in. While this caught the GC game and let me pull them both out, I stupidly thought I could find and fix the problem, so I put Animal Crossing in and found the drive incapable of moving the disc into place. And then my brother shoves in RE4 again. Now both discs are jammed, and I have no viable method of getting them out.

1. Is there anyway to eject them without opening the system? Right now that's the #1 priority.
    2. What do I need to pull the drive out? I see a couple small Phillips screws on the system, but no tri-wing ones. If I need a triwing could I find it locally?
    3. If I can't fix it myself, how much will a new drive cost? I don't have time to send it in and get it fixed by the 25th, but I can probably get another one shipped here with like overnight shipping or something. Or is this something I can easily fix?

I need MASSIVE help, please.

-Wow, that title got messed up. Should've read
    "Drive Broken- does not 'pull' or 'push' discs; disc(s) jammed, Need massive help fixing/replacing."
    Wonder if this is related to some of the posting bugs people were talking about earlier.

2. mcjones92

Member mcjones92 Forest Fam

United States
    Well I wouldn't recommend trying to get the disc out without opening the Wii. So what I would do is first get a tri-wing. More than likely you WILL NOT find them in a store, just buy them online for some $1-3. Then open it up (plenty of guides online) and fiddle with the drive a little bit. If that doesn't work out, you either need a repair or just buy a new DVD drive for around $80. It's as simple as clipping two wires in.

When opening your Wii, it isn't hard but do not mess around with the ribbon cable connecting the DVD drive. It's probably the most fragile part you will come in contact if you do open your Wii.

3. FireEmblemGuy
    OP

United States
    Looking through some stuff I found around the web, it looks like my problem is, more likely than not, just a loose arm or gear, and I'm praying to God I can fix it. The problem is going to be getting a triwing here before Christmas.

4. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I hope you don't need to do it, but if you do need to replace the drive it's extremely easy to do. Once you've got the case open it's just a matter of four Philips head screws and two cables.

If you don't have a chip, then you might want to consider sending it off to Nintendo: a repair shouldn't be much more expensive than a new drive (that's assuming they charge you at all - they might do it under warranty, as long as you don't volunteer the information that it was dropped) and the repairs will have a warranty.

No matter what, I can't see it being fixed by Christmas :\

5. FireEmblemGuy
    OP

United States
    For what part, exactly, will I need a tri-wing? Looking at the case I see a few small Phillips, and I have that screwdriver around somewhere, but I don't see anywhere where I'd need a tri-wing. On the other hand I'll be pissed if I have to stop once I get those out of the way, and it's gonna cost me a shitload to get a screwdriver here by the 24th, which is iffy in the first place.

It doesn't look like the 360 my parents ordered will be here in time for Christmas, so it seems like I'll be in it deep from my brothers if they can't play their new games.

6. Lazycus

Member Lazycus Rotten

United States
    I'll guess you have broken a gear. Even if you do get it opened up you will probably need to replace at least one part of the drive mechanism. Is it under warranty? It may be easiest just to get Nintendo to fix it for you. Either way, prepare for a whipping from the brothers!

7. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The majority of the screws in the case are Tri-Wings, but they're not immediately obvious (underneath the black plastic strip where the GameCube ports are, behind the battery cover, under rubber feet and paper stickers.) You cannot open the Wii without a Tri-Wing screwdriver.

8. JOCKz

Newcomer JOCKz Member

Australia