ROM Hack Downgrade and firmware version question

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a new 3ds xl hyrule edition from ebay and I thought that the firmware that came on these was 9.2 by default but this one is saying its 9.9.0 but it looks like its in mint condition. Do these special edition hyrule 3ds's come in 9.9.0 firmware from the factory?

And secondly, I can still downgrade it and put A9LH and Luma on it, right? I am about to start looking through the tutorials right now to see what downgrading involves. Is the downgrade process fairly safe or is there a higher than normal chance of bricking it when downgrading?

wg93589

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Plailect's Guide said:
All variations of sysUpdater, not just sysDowngrader, have a very small chance of causing a “soft brick” once the downgrade is complete and the device reboots. This will cause the system to boot directly to the Nintendo error screen instructing users to power off the device.

The reason for this is unknown, but can be prevented by performing a system format before downgrading. It seems to happen very often on systems with ambassador status or who have DSiWare installed.

Once this error happens, it can only be fixed by using recovery mode (boot holding A + R + L + Up on the D-Pad) to update to the latest system version.

As of the time this is written, the latest version (11.2.0) has completely blocked all software downgrading, and if someone encounters this error they will be locked out of any further downgrading unless they downgrade their NFIRM.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can downgrade and install A9LH fine on a hyrule edition. I have done 2. Follow the guide and I recommend the extra format that it talks about as optional. Read it all. Don't skip anything and you'll be fine. Fresh SD,freshly formatted,freshly downloaded files..

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I was just reading the part of the guide that talks about downloading the RIGHT version of sysdowngrader. Is there someway in the 3ds menu to CONFIRM the region? I mean it said it was USA (or NTSC which I guess is USA) when I bought it but I would like to double check.

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't started the process yet but I just noticed when I click on "New 3DS 9.2.0 - USA" in the guide it says that "that address isn't understandable". I am going to make it a point to go through and try to download all the files BEFORE I start the process but it seems I am already stuck.

And yeah, it reads 9.9.0-26U at the bottom.

Last edited by Gorkensnorkel,

Gorkensnorkel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, thats the guide I am using. I guess I need to install a torrent to download those files. Would have been nice for the guide to have said that in advance.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eGAHfC5P-Y