Dolphin Emulator For Android

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by Kirito-kun, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Kirito-kun
    OP

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    It's finally happening. Dolphin Emulator has been ported to Android. It runs like crap but is confirmed to work. This is only the start. Soon, everyone will be playing Wii and GameCube games on Android smartphones and tablets. All will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

However, emulation speed is a major issue right now. Currently, no Android device is able to run this emulator at full speed. My Galaxy S2 only manages about 1FPS.

You can find the emulator in the Google Play Store. It's current in alpha.

Has anyone tried this emulator on their device? What kind of framerates are you getting? How long will it be until devices will be able to run this emulator at full speed?

MAXLEMPIRA likes this.
  2. EvilMakiPR

EvilMakiPR GBAtemp Addict

Apr 9, 2013
    They are optimizing it for Tegra 4 & Snapdragon 800. He has a NVIDIA Shield.

I'm sorry but your S2 will never run this.

3. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    I doubt GC we will see full speed on a tablet or phone for a while, unless it's running on a PC remotely.

If I was forced to guess at what time that would happen, you might see some "playable" games in a year or two on the latest hardware.

Full speed PC like emulation is probably like 5 years off maybe a little more.

Still very cool to see that some day I should be able to play Mario Sunshine on a tablet.

4. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    how would this fare on a nexus 7 or galaxy s4mini ?

5. Kirito-kun
    OP

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    Not on the Galaxy S4 Mini, as it has pretty poor hardware. Not on the original Nexus 7 as the GPU of the Tegra 3 doesn't support OpenGL ES 3.0, which is required for fast rendering.

Maybe on the 2013 Nexus 7 as it's Adreno 320 GPU supports OpenGL ES 3.0. It also has faster overall hardware compared to the 2012 Nexus 7. Even so, you'd still likely be playing with lower framerates and stuttering.

The only phone out right now that will likely be able to run the emulator at full speed is the Galaxy Note 3, which has a 2.3 GHz quad-core processor, an OpenGL-capable GPU, and 3GB of RAM. It's over 10 times more powerful than the Wii in terms of raw processing power.

Satangel likes this.
  6. Ralph Steven

Ralph Steven Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    Sounds like a good project. Have to appreciate hard work but will still take a while to runs in normal parameters

7. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    10 times more powerful than the Wii, wtf :o
    That's crazy, although I thought console CPU's are more powerful than such mobile CPU's? Like it is with laptops and PC's, a quadcore laptop CPU is less powerful than a quadcore PC CPU.

8. Gamemaster1379

Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    It runs like shit on the newest Nexus 7. I gave it a try on my 2013 model with Luigi's Mansion, and likely was getting 1 frame per second with horrid stuttering. All the controls were crammed in the upper left corner, and after a minute or two, it was still stuck on the original "Nintendo' boot logo for Luigi's Mansion.

9. Chocolina

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    It runs like shit on any device, but the 2013 model of Nex7 uses Snap S4 Pro.

Since the S4 Pro, we've had Exynos 5 Octa 5410, Snapdragon 600, Tegra 4i, Tegra 4, Exynos 5 Octa 5420, Snapdragon 800, and they just announced last month the Snapdragon 410, and last week the Snapdragon 805 and two Tegra K1 models set for the 1st and 2nd half of the year.

The 410 is of no significance, but everything else was the best of ARM at their time of release.Call it a generation, or a tier, but the S4 Pro is 2 generations behind, but even so, next generation isn't going to be much better at emulating Gamecube. In Dolphin's current form, Gamecube will run comfortably on mobile in 18 months, give or take, assuming you have the latest device of Holiday-time-2015. Dolphin performance can always increase via software updates, but it should be noted that even if you get 1-2 FPS on your Gamecube games, the Snap 800 and Tegra 4 isn't much better, and it's likely the next generation of ARM won't be cut out for it either. Its very possibly that this comming year will give us all the power we'll need, but software will get in the way.

What interests me is Tegra K1, which they're saying is a GPU based off of their Desktop/PC GPUs. They're going as far to say that it might compete graphically with the new generation of consoles, and making it powerful enough to run Unreal Engine 4, something the Wii U can't even run, and is said that the X1 can't even use. And they're saying the next gen of ARM chipsets will be D3D11-like class.

But still, given all this amazing mobile/low-wattage processing power, the most popular games on mobile will be Candy crush, Temple run clones, and angry birds. -_-
    But atleast our emulators are becoming more capable. PSP games are already almost at playable standards. I can play most of Ratchet and Clank PSP at 100% on my Nex5, but with annoying glow-issues.