Hardware Does the newer model really have better framerates?

Christian Rosado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was considering on trading my non patched switch for the newer model since I care more about the extra battery & framerate than homebrew plus all the risks it involves. So does it really have better performance or people are creating fuzz about nothing? thanks

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everyone who's done actual frametime analysis has reported zero difference. Everything runs at the same clocks on both systems, its just that the new systems use far less power to get the same results, and therefore generates less heat and runs the fan less. Check Digital Foundry on Youtube if you want the definitive research on this topic.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

DarknessPlay3r

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Everyone who's done actual frametime analysis has reported zero difference. Everything runs at the same clocks on both systems, its just that the new systems use far less power to get the same results, and therefore generates less heat and runs the fan less. Check Digital Foundry on Youtube if you want the definitive research on this topic.
This in a nut shell. The newer model is more efficient but not more powerful. Hence the "better battery life".

Christian Rosado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This in a nut shell. The newer model is more efficient but not more powerful. Hence the "better battery life".
I was in doubt because digital foundry made a vid where places like kokorok forest (Zelda botw) seemed more stable on the newer model. If its just battery then Ill just keep mine and mod it.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah and half the time the OG switch was getting slightly better framerates. You have to chalk that up to the irregularity of not running through the same areas in the exact same way/timing. They don't have any formal benchmarks to run unfortunately.

Koldur

Virtual Boy Ambassador
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Less heat means less throttling which means the higher chance of higher clock rates. I don't think it will be a huge difference, but a few more frames than the old chip wouldn't surprise me. I saw a review where Doom ran noticably smoother at all places. So, yeah, it does make a difference and there is a good explanation for it, less throttling.

Reactions: LordRahl72

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk