Hacking Does installing a CFW mean no flash cards are needed?

andyd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had trouble with an order of 3ds flash card for nds and came on here to see if there were any recommended sellers. While doing that, it seems like custom firmwares are now available and seem painless to install - is this a way to not having to use flash cards or do you still need a flash cards if one wants to load backups of nds

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I had trouble with an order of 3ds flash card for nds and came on here to see if there were any recommended sellers. While doing that, it seems like custom firmwares are now available and seem painless to install - is this a way to not having to use flash cards or do you still need a flash cards if one wants to load backups of nds

There is no need for flashcards now because CFW will do it for free (CIA 3DS installs) and commercial NDS roms now.

You would be wasting money now on flashcards, unless you want them for collecting purposes. Just update to 11.2, if not already on it and follow the community A9LH guide for a 100% coldboot CFW.

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You need a flashcard if you want to play nds games, as playing nds games without flashcard is possible but the compatibility is low

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Did you mean "NDS flash card (Play NDS game)" or "3DS flash card (Play 3DS game)"?
If you mean 3DS flash card, yes, you don't need it to pirate the game anymore.
If you mean NDS flash card, In the current state, NDS flash card still give the better experiend.
But, CFW will allow you to run almost all NDS flash card that got blocked.

andyd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok thanks guys

I did mean NDS games not 3DS.

When you guys say internal SD card does that mean the expandable? I just liken internal to how Android labels its memory and internal is not via an actual sd card but internal memory. Considering the fact that the 3ds has limited storage space

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
No, internal 3DS memory is unexpandable.
And I still won't recommend you to play NDS without flash card.
As @DrCrygor07 said, the compatibility is low, flash card give you the better experiend, even the cheap one such as abandon DSTT.

andyd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fine. I'll locate a flash card. Advice heard :)

But still trying to understand CFW - I think I read that the 3ds xl has 4gb of internal memory. Does this mean you could only load one 3ds backup at a time (size permitting)?

hellionz

Trophies
XP
Country
yes...dont buy plastic bullshit of bullshit sellers....and if you have one...let it taking some dust

greetings

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
That's fine. I'll locate a flash card. Advice heard :)

But still trying to understand CFW - I think I read that the 3ds xl has 4gb of internal memory. Does this mean you could only load one 3ds backup at a time (size permitting)?
The games will install in external SD card. So you can install as much as the SD card capacity can hold.
Unless there is 300 icons limit in home menu, the 301 app need to run from FBI.

Last edited by nechigawara,
D

Deleted User

You only need a flash card,specifically r4 to run nds backups and a sky3ds can be used to unbrick a 2ds on the slider screen if needed and you have one lying around,otherwise oothax may get support and be cheaper

Last edited by ,

josamilu

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If you want to install CFW just use 3ds.guide . Remember to go carefully through every step, and don't skip any. Don't follow any YouTube Guides, because they are mostly outdated and could brick your device. Also, don't be shy to ask. If you have any questions regarding the process, just come back to the forums and ask for help. Good luck :D Also you should consider getting a bigger SD Card. 4gb may be enough, however you won't have much space for installing games left. I would recommend a minimum of 8 or 16 gigabytes.

offpir

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ok thanks guys

I did mean NDS games not 3DS.

When you guys say internal SD card does that mean the expandable? I just liken internal to how Android labels its memory and internal is not via an actual sd card but internal memory. Considering the fact that the 3ds has limited storage space

sorry, i thought you meant 3ds games and apps in general.

andyd

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Went through the guy to install the custom firmware...

1) Why that's a lot of steps to go through lol
2) Works perfectly so far

Thanks guys!

nechigawara

Citizen of Gamindustri
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Went through the guy to install the custom firmware...

1) Why that's a lot of steps to go through lol
2) Works perfectly so far

Thanks guys!
A9LH need console OTP to write the payload to the NAND. But, OTP can only access in 2.1.
So we have to do something to bring the console back to that version.
Before Safehax exist, we have to go back to 9.2 once to use arm9 exploit to run Decrypt9 before going 2.1.
So, I would say right now, the installing method is a lot more easier.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/sg0D1PpgCXs?si=rnzM6Df7jeL6FiPz