Does Dump .cia game contain Private Headers?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Kenchansyd, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Kenchansyd
    OP

Kenchansyd Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2016
    Sorry this maybe a Noob Question.
    I have 2 N3DS in each one of them is on arm9loaderhax.
    Am about to go get my copy of Monster Hunter XX.
    I was thinking to just buy one copy and DUMP it into a .cia file for the other 3DS I am using.
    Do I need to put a new private header on the dump or since it's a .cia it won't read the private header from the cart anyway?
    Would it be safe if both of them are played at the same time online?

Thank you!!

2. proflayton123

proflayton123 Sakura思い

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Seeing as it's in .cia format you don't need to worry about private headers regardless :)

3. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    since it's a .cia it won't read the private header from the cart anyway-- this
    yup its safe

4. Kenchansyd
    OP

Kenchansyd Member

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2016
    Thanks Guys~~ Saved me some money!

proflayton123 likes this.
  5. Thezombielord47

Thezombielord47 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2018
    Zimbabwe
    So why don't you need private headers on .cia games and if it is because they don't use them should i use non cia roms to be less likely to gt banned (for example and ssb for 3ds)?

6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Installed titles simply do not have a serial number as physical games do

("cia games" is a misnomer, as CIA is a container - of one or more NCCHs/.app, a TMD, and a ticket; the CIA itself has an header, but it's not installed anywhere, and it doesn't contain a serial number in the first place)

The ticket (which, on a system without signature patches and therefore without the ability to edit the ticket, is part of the DRM system) does include an identifier of the console for which the ticket is signed; however, almost every dumper automatically changes this identifier to 00000000, so that the backup will indeed be installable on any console
    (FunkyCIA2 is the only one I know of, which can download games while leaving the identifier in - and at the time it was popular, there was no way of installing such cias in the first place)

7. Thezombielord47

Thezombielord47 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2018
    Zimbabwe
    thanks, now i know

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice