Does Anyone Else Here Dislike FXAA?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Kirito-kun, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Kirito-kun
    OP

Kirito-kun Disciple of GabeN

Banned
    Jul 23, 2013
    Canada
    22nd Floor
    In case you didn't know, FXAA is a relatively new AA algorithm made by Nvidia. It seem to be getting quite popular as late, due to it's low resource consumption. However, it is always tends to make the whole screen blurry, especially textures. When removing jagged lines, it's as effective as 8x MSAA but the amount it softens the image by makes it rather irritating to have on. It's still better than no AA, but not by much. Anyone else share this view? Or instead prefer FXAA?

2. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    I actually don't think it's effective as 8xMSAA, but it might also be dependent on the game. For example, in Bioshock Infinite, all it seemed to do for me is smear the pixelated jaggies across the 3D environment, instead of blurring them away :(

Originally, I first think I heard of FXAA in Skyrim. I first used it in Borderlands 2, however, and I didn't really seem to notice a difference. But there is also a general cartoony style already, and the celshading borders help to mitigate the effects of edge blurring, too, so perhaps that is a more charitable example. But I also tried using FXAA in the Misery mod for Stalker: Call of Pripyat, and man, the entire screen was a blurfest. It felt like I had accidentally been running the game at a lower upscaled resolution console peasents.

I am quite pissed when this is the only available option, however (hello Bioshock snorefest).

I use DSFix for playing Dark Souls, and it includes SMAA, and I actually really like it. It seems much less invasive towards the overall screen details, and while it doesn't get rid of all the jaggies, it seems to hide them fairly well.

I'm still confused over nvidia's latest slew of AA options, like CSAA, TXAA, and all these other consonants-AA effects.

3. PityOnU

PityOnU GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    United States
    I've never like AA at all.

I never had the computing grunt to use it previously, but later when I could, I noticed (just like you) that all of the AA stuff only seems to blur the hell out of everything.

That's why it's pretty exciting getting the super high definition displays. The pixels are so small, you don't need any AA anymore.

4. YayMii

YayMii hi

Jun 24, 2009
    Canada
    that place
    The whole point of FXAA (fast approximate antialiasing) is to reduce the jaggies without any performance hit. Sure, it doesn't look as good as even maybe 2x MSAA (it's not supposed to), but it runs much lighter. I only use it on some games because osu! made me into a framerate whore when I want to take advantage of my monitor's high refresh rates.

Just wanted to provide a breakdown of the different AA technologies, if anyone's interested:
    wow this was much longer than I intended it to be