Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Based on Doctor Sleep by Stephen King, the sequel to The Shining, by Stephen King.

Doctor Sleep.

Ewan McGregor as grown up Danny, as ghosts of his past come back to bite him in the ass.
Not literally.

I'm half expecting Jack Nicholson to make a comeback as a ghost of (Christmas) past but I'll understand it if he doesn't.

I'm intrigued. We shall see what we shall see.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Missed trick of the century. Not cutting that to some kind of "dark" remix or scary vocal cover of

Anyway as I sit here I will probably have to confess to some kind of heresy as it occurs I have never seen the Shining all the way through.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Kubricks The Shining is a masterpiece, but is vastly different to the source material.
It's virtually impossible for this adaptation of Doctor Sleep (more of a spin-off than a sequel to Kings original novel) to also serve as a sequel to the Kubrick film - I'd suggest reading the original novel rather than presuming any tie ins with the Kubrick film.

edit

...although having now watched that trailer, I imagine this being as vastly different from the novel as Kubricks film was from it's source material.

Last edited by duwen,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Kubricks The Shining is a masterpiece, but is vastly different to the source material.
It's virtually impossible for this adaptation of Doctor Sleep (more of a spin-off than a sequel to Kings original novel) to also serve as a sequel to the Kubrick film - I'd suggest reading the original novel rather than presuming any tie ins with the Kubrick film.

The director has acknowledged this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Sleep_(2019_film)#Connection_to_The_Shining_novel_and_film

While the film Doctor Sleep is intended to be a direct adaptation of the 2013 sequel novel, director Mike Flanagan said Doctor Sleep would still "acknowledge Kubrick's The Shining in some way". Flanagan said, "It is an adaptation of the novel Doctor Sleep, which is Stephen King's sequel to his novel, The Shining. But this also exists very much in the same cinematic universe that Kubrick established in his adaptation of The Shining." He explained working with both The Shining novel and film, "Reconciling those three, at times very different, sources has been the most challenging and thrilling part of this creatively for us." He first visited the novel then had a conversation with King to work out adapting both sources. As part of the process, Flanagan recreated flashback scenes from The Shining.

That's a huge task to undertake, he talks big, let's wait and see how it ends up.

Reactions: Vulpes Abnocto

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I don´t think "Jack comes back" because of the SAME ghosts that haunted him in the 1977 movie.THEY come back to Danny.:evil:

But a prequel is also work in progress on Warner Bros. - The Overlook Hotel.

Last edited by Alexander1970,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The director has acknowledged this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Sleep_(2019_film)#Connection_to_The_Shining_novel_and_film

That's a huge task to undertake, he talks big, let's wait and see how it ends up.
I'm a fan of Flanagans other work (a Fanagan?!), so I am keen to see how he's managed to tie it all together - especially as he did a good job with his previous King adaptation.
...but I'm a bigger fan of Kubrick, so I'm hoping he won't do anything to undermine the greatness of The Shining (the movie).

Conan-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm looking forward to this movie, I've always enjoyed watching the shining and it's super cool to see this coming out! I've not gotten the chance to read the original book, but I have a back catalog of books to read and the shining will certainly be one of them.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although to be fair, Stephen King wrote his own screenplay for the TV mini-series, and that thing is borderline unwatchable.

I love his novels, but King isn't great at writing for film.
He was far better off when he'd settle for being an extra in the film someone else wrote.
(Example: The Stand)

Not to mention that he's not the same writer he was before getting run over by a minivan.

Last edited by Vulpes Abnocto,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C6rI8eXgDxd/?igsh=MWYybHY2YXoyM3I2cQ==