Do we really NEED a battery pack for the joycons?

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by xtheman, Apr 13, 2017.

1. xtheman
    OP

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    The damn things last 20 hours on there own, why the hell do we need battery packs for them?
    [​IMG]
    Unless of course ARMS' motion controls kills the joycon quickly. :unsure:

Shadowfied and Thelucario21 like this.
  2. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    I'd only ever use it as a better grip, but those could just be 3D printed

MAXLEMPIRA and xtheman like this.
  3. OfficialFBomb

OfficialFBomb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    So you take up reality to comment on something that already has a post just a few inches down? Who cares if Nintendo makes it or not, buy it don't buy it who cares..

4. xtheman
    OP

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Link? I didn't see any threads on this here, other then it being mentioned in the direct roundup.
    I was just wondering if these has any point...

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  5. Wiisel

Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 4, 2008
    By the looks of it these can't be used in handheld mode as they attach by the rail making them pretty worthless as a grip and just another gimmick controller addon that will be redundant beyond one or two games.

d4mation and Bladexdsl like this.
  6. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Seems like it's for those too lazy to slide them into charging stations or the Switch itself, yet complain about them not having a charge when they need it the most. 20 hours for Pete's sake. A person on average sleeps 8 hours a day. Even if it were 20 hours gaming and only 4 hours to sleep, that's plenty of time to get them charged to full.

7. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    not if your using the ProC :P

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If I was going to make a grip for them (and there is a need for such a thing) and fancied a bit of weight I might well add a battery as it is easy to do.

3280 yen is the Japanese price so direct conversion is $30 USD, £24 or 28 Euros... for a boost converter stuck in a rubber overmould plastic. My hand cream comes with a pot made like that with about the same amount of material (albeit PP rather than the PP+PC blend that the switch case uses).
    *raises middle finger at Nintendo*
    At least give me lithium for that kind of money (don't as I really don't need another battery in my life but yeah).

9. Nemix77

Nemix77 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 30, 2009
    Canada
    The battery life of the Joy Cons is already really good, anything from 8 to 10 hours is perfect for my type of usage (I don't game for more than that in a days session) then I can just charge them overnight.

Last generations Dualshock 3 also has good battery life but the Dualshock 4 is big disappointment, the Joy Cons and Pro Controller for the Switch is a godsend when compared to the Dualshock 4 this generation.

10. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Austria
    Maybe they are useful if you are really into Arms (edit: if you use the motion controls): more grip and you don't have to charge for many sessions. I don't have a problem that Nintento sells them, because they are not necessary and they don't force me to buy them.

chartube12 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  11. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    My joycons get great battery life, so these seem like a band-aid for a completely non-issue.

12. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    I dont think these are needed at all. It seems like one person said something about not knowing how to charge there joycons so nintendo came up with this

13. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I literally played Zelda for 5 hours, and still had 90% left in each.

14. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Yea i didnt charges mines because i have 2 pairs.(one in grio and one always dock)
    And it took about a week to die.

Then i swap to the ones that are dock to the switch lol.....
    So i dont see the problem.
    But as said 1 person probably said something and nintendo said "oh no, one person means 1million, so we gotta do something."

Lol idk seems like it wont sell but to old people getting it for there little kids because they think they need it

15. s157

s157 Grinder Extraordinaire

Sep 23, 2016
    United States
    Not digging the design of it as a grip yet (at least the angle). Angle it out a bit like the vita trigger grips and I'd probably get it, seeing as I carry it in a case for portability and don't have to worry about it uncomfortably fitting in any impossibly giant-sized pocket I have.

16. NekoMichi

NekoMichi Retro Collector

Jun 4, 2015
    Minus World
    It seems a bit weird considering the last time Nintendo released something that used AA batteries was in 2006*, nowadays you'd expect lithium ion or polymer battery packs. Not sure just how much extra play time alkaline or nickel-based batteries would add, plus the fact that the built-in Joy-Con cells last 20+ hours anyway. If it was for users who didn't want to charge through the main console or those with multiple Joy-Cons that can't all be charged at once from the tablet, they'd probably be better off getting a Joy-Con dock for the same price like this one from PowerA:

DSC_0448.JPG
    *The Wii remote. If you wanted to be technical, the last product to use traditional batteries was the 3DS Circle Pad Pro from 2013, which ran off AAA batteries.

Last edited by NekoMichi, Apr 17, 2017
  17. bennyman123abc

bennyman123abc Master of the Script Kiddies

Mar 21, 2013
    United States
    Training some more Script Kiddies
    I honestly prefer using AA batteries in remotes. Good job Nintendo!

18. SamThiiSaminator

SamThiiSaminator Seemingly excellent at doing brick to it

Dec 14, 2016
    United Kingdom
    my mother's womb
    More pointless Switch accessories...

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  19. Shadowfied

Shadowfied GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 6, 2014
    That's kind of fucking shocking to me. Nintendo usually suck at keeping up with technology, but at least they were early to ditch old batteries. Yet M$ still use fucking AA on XBone Controllers [​IMG]

20. Saiyan Lusitano

Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Guru

Oct 29, 2015
    Sweden
    Makes it look like the Joy-Cons have a lump. Pointless add-on accessory.