Discs not spinnings!?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Bluebarry, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Bluebarry
    OP

Bluebarry Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2013
    Canada
    Well... I've had my go at USB Loaders and such and they just aren't working for me (my Gamecube games).

Basically I'm trying to use a USB Loader because my disc drive is pretty much dead, the discs don't spin. I can confirm this because I had opened my Wii and inserted a disc, no spin.

I just inserted a Gamecube game right now the sake of it, and I heard two clicks:
    Inserts Disc --> *CLICK* *CLICK*--> Nothing.

I did it again and it made the same noise- it sounds like the disc is trying to spin but it can't.

I'm thinking, could the clicks be the two metal pieces at the edge of the drive stopping it from spinning? I know to fix some problems you need to lift up the metal pieces a little bit with pliers.

Anyone else know of any ideas? I know I could just buy a new drive... but I wanna have a go a fixing it manually.

2. Antidote

Antidote GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2011
    United States
    Take the drive out CAREFULLY and post a few pictures of it, front and back, with and without the metal shroud.

3. Bluebarry
    OP

Bluebarry Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2013
    Canada
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sorry, I had to use my phone!

4. Tronic56

Tronic56 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2013
    Greece
    Brooklyn, New York
    Did you try another disc? The clicks are the lens that go back and forth and it may not spin because the disc might be scratched. Try another disc and post.

5. Bluebarry
    OP

Bluebarry Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 1, 2013
    Canada
    I have tried several discs, three Wii and one Gamecube. Same results.

I started to work with it again today, and I noticed when I inserted my disc, that the orange piece you can see right above the disc started to inch up in sync with the clicking noise. When I re-inserted the disc- it would quickly pop down and repeat the process with inching up. SO... I assume that's where the clicking is coming from- if I am correct that is my laser lens right?

Heres two photos... you can barely see it in the first one, but I took the cover off for the second.

[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Tronic56

Tronic56 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 7, 2013
    Greece
    Brooklyn, New York
    Pretty sure that it is your drive's problem.

7. Antidote

Antidote GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2011
    United States
    Tronic56, regardless of the disc being scratched, it ALWAYS spins, how does the console know it can't read it if it doesn't even try?

Bluebarry, please do what i suggest if you're comfortable enough, if not get someone you trust who can.

EDIT:
    NVM, the pictures weren't showing up for some reason, they are now.

EDIT2:
    From what I can see in those pictures, the solder points on the motor look fine try running a game with the drive out of it and watch out it behaves, record it if possible.

EDIT3:
    Looking at the second set of pictures, I see nothing out of the ordinary.