Hacking Dios Mios and Retail Gamecube Discs

wii121

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having some problems with loading retail physical discs on my Wii after installing Dios Mios on a USB flash drive. If I don't have the flash drive plugged in, the disc will not load. If I do have it plugged in, it loads but then freezes when loading levels in Smash Bros. Melee but the music continues to play, it's just stuck on "Loading...".

Do you need to have the USB drive plugged in for Dios Mios to work? Has anyone encountered this error of getting a game to start but then freezing when it loads something? I also ran syscheck and it says I am using MIOS v10 (DIOS MIOS 2.6.1+).

Edit: I just tried another game, Mario Golf : Toadstool Tour and it does the same thing but actually crashes and just restarts the game. It loads and lets me pick single player mode but crashes when it tries to load a level. I clicked the disc drive option is USB Loader GX for this game. For Smash Bros. I used the stock gamecube loader channel but the results are the same.

Edit2: This is strange...I put my Smash Bros. Melee disc copy onto the USB stick, loaded it from USB, and now retail discs are working again. It restarted once in Mario Golf but then worked fine after that so it is still somewhat unstable. It seems to work very well if the iso is on the USB but when it's using the disc drive it has loading problems sometimes.

I still want to know what's causing this and if I can do anything to stabilize it. I also heard it is not recommended to keep switching between the stock Wii MIOS and DIOS MIOS, is this true?

wii121

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone have any idea? I tried a larger USB stick and these are my results:

2GB USB stick, 16k clusters, DM 2.10 - Physical disc boots fine from DM Booter, Wii disc channel, and USB Loader GX disc. After booting, the game sometimes (usually) runs fine and sometimes crashes when trying to load something. I thought it was working but when I tried it again, it froze when loading a level on Smash Bros. Melee. This stick is very small and can only hold one game at a time. When I swapped out Smash Bros. for a Wii game in wbfs format, it consistently freezes every time. When I put Smash Bros. back on the stick, it loads but sometimes freezes.

32GB USB stick, 32k clusters, DM 2.10 - Now I can hold multiple files on a single USB stick but it now consistently freezes when trying to load beyond the game starting. As before, the game starts fine but then freezes after it attempts to load something new. If I load from a copy on USB it works perfectly so far.

Do you have any idea what the problem is? My guess is that either the sticks are not 100% compatible or there is some issue going on when switching between loading Wii and Gamecube games. The reason it seems like there is some conflict is my experience with the first USB stick where it could only hold one game at a time. When it had a Wii game on it, it would load gamecube discs but freeze every time. When I had a gamecube game on it, I thought it was working but it froze again today.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.