Debating between two computers

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by mysticwaterfall, Apr 5, 2012.

?

Which Computer?

1. HP Pavilion dv6-6c35dx - AMD Quad-Core A8-3520M, 6 gig ram, 15.6" (549$)

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. HP Pavilion dm4-3055dx 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-2430M processor, 8 gig ram, 14" (629$)

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
Apr 5, 2012
  1. mysticwaterfall
    OP

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    So, my 5 year old Thinkpad just died this week. Considering it was only 200$ when I got it and already has some things wrong with it, its not really worth fixing. So I'm debating between two computers:

HP Pavilion dv6-6c35dx - AMD Quad-Core A8-3520M, 6 gig ram, 15.6" ($549) - Full specs below
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

HP Pavilion dm4-3055dx 2nd Gen Intel® Core™ i5-2430M processor, 8 gig ram, 14" (629$) - Full specs below

Warning: Spoilers inside!
    I don't play games on the computer, so thats not a consderation. I preatty much do school stuff, web, and videos. Which originally made me lean towards the AMD, but I'm a little worried about the performance since the i5 is obviously faster and presumably better, except for video - at least that seems to be consensus online, I personally don't have much experiance with AMD stuff. So I'm not sure if the extra 2 gigs of ram and presumably better processor is going to make much of a percievable difference and be worth the 80$. I'm also not planning to buy another computer for the long haul.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Contributor Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip
    United States
    Really you should just buy a decent netbook if you want something for school stuff, web browsing and videos.

3. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    I wish to change my vote to the first one. The A8 APU has much better graphics than the Intel HD 3000.

1 person likes this.
  4. mysticwaterfall
    OP

Member mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

United States
    I have a touchpad for general web, ebooks and like. Not really a big Netbook fan, too small for my tastes.

As for the graphics, I've read the amd has much better graphics but the I5 has better general performance. But none of these sites really tell me how big a difference this and if it practically matters for non games.

5. marcus134

Member marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    HTML and flash support hardware acceleration (done through the gpu) so having a better gpu for web browsing isn't entirely lost. when it come to processing power, both have more than what's needed, differences are seen in benchmark, but you really have to bench them to see the difference.

Also, the i5 is a dual core with hyper threading while the A8 is a true quad core.

6. yellowsnowcone

Newcomer yellowsnowcone Member

United States
    They're both more than you need, and priced well. The Intel CPU is far and away superior, but both will be much more limited by their hard drives than CPU or GPU for almost any basic school stuff. The Intel is more expensive, but faster. OTOH, if basic school stuff includes academic versions of professional content creation applications, like Photoshop or AutoCAD, going AMD would be better in the long run, for the superior GPU and video drivers, even sacrificing CPU performance.