Sportsmaniac1322

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just got a 120GB hard drive, and I'd like to transfer all my data from my 60GB to my new one. A lot of people sell transfer cables on eBay, but only a few actually sell the official disc where you don't need a PC to transfer data. I don't really know how the PC version works, but from what I've read it sounds like I'd have to dump 60GB of data onto my computer hard drive, then copy it over to my 120GB one. I really don't want 60GB of data on my computer, so is there any way to just transfer directly from the 60GB to the 120GB?

If not, I do have a flashed Xbox, so in theory I could just get a dump of the disc, burn it and use that and the transfer cable. Would that work? If it would, I know I can't ask for any links, but would asking for a file name be ok?

Lastly, are there any better options for my situation? This is new for me, so anyone who's accomplished this, please share how you did it. Thanks in advance!!

Dermy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought you can just call 18004MYXBOX and they will just send a transfer cable out for free. That's weird that it didn't come with one. I guess they stopped doing that.

Sportsmaniac1322

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
l Red l said:
I thought you can just call 18004MYXBOX and they will just send a transfer cable out for free. That's weird that it didn't come with one. I guess they stopped doing that.
I bought it on eBay, so that's why it didn't come with one. Does calling Microsoft actually work? And how soon do they send it out?

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
l Red l said:
I bought it on eBay, so that's why it didn't come with one. Does calling Microsoft actually work? And how soon do they send it out?

Soon as you place the call and get one it takes 7-10 days for it to arrive, they usually email you to tell you its been despatched.

Just phone up say you bought a 120gb but it didn't come with a data transfer kit, don't mention ebay or its 2nd hand.

Sportsmaniac1322

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FlatFrogger said:
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
l Red l said:

Soon as you place the call and get one it takes 7-10 days for it to arrive, they usually email you to tell you its been despatched.

Just phone up say you bought a 120gb but it didn't come with a data transfer kit, don't mention ebay or its 2nd hand.
I doubt that'll work since they want a serial number and my hard drive hasn't arrived yet. I want to be able to place an order before my package actually gets here. I don't want to wait another 2 weeks before I can update my hard drive.

Sportsmaniac1322

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really can't call Microsoft and have them mail one to me, because the drive I got was a hacked wd1200bevs drive. That means there'll likely be no serial number to give Microsoft when they ask (which I'm sure they will).

From the responses I'm starting to think eBay is my best option. Does everyone else agree with me?

SgtYutz

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
read up on xboxhdm, its a linux boot disk for your pc that will let you clone your 60gig to your 120 gig. assuming you can fit two hard drives and a CD\DVD drive in your pc.
Its what i did when i got my 500GB drive
tongue.gif

EDIT: just to be straight are you talkin' bout a original xbox or a 360?

Deleted member 94204

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think all you need is just your console's serial number.
When I got mine I had it for the sole intention of using xploader.
I found the European form but I can't find the American form so I guess you'd have to call them.

Here's the European form for example's sake.
http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/E6F1F755-...ewithfax_EN.pdf
(Warning, PDF)

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sportsmaniac1322 said:
I really can't call Microsoft and have them mail one to me, because the drive I got was a hacked wd1200bevs drive. That means there'll likely be no serial number to give Microsoft when they ask (which I'm sure they will).

From the responses I'm starting to think eBay is my best option. Does everyone else agree with me?

they just want the console serial number not the HD and what size drive you have and what size are you replacing it with thats all no doubt for their statistics
smile.gif

the transfer cables free just give them a call takes about a week to arrive
smile.gif

or order from eBay etc or DX and wait 2 - 3 weeks

FlatFrogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ethanx94 said:
I think all you need is just your console's serial number.
When I got mine I had it for the sole intention of using xploader.
I found the European form but I can't find the American form so I guess you'd have to call them.

Here's the European form for example's sake.
http://www.xbox.com/NR/rdonlyres/E6F1F755-...ewithfax_EN.pdf
(Warning, PDF)

That form is useless if you are just upgrading your harddrive, read it and you will see. You have to phone them if you are only upgrade harddrives.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No those are just incoming calls