DARKCORP & original disks

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by zzhou, May 25, 2010.

1. zzhou
    OP

zzhou Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2008
    United States
    A problem:
    I'm currently in US but have a Pal Wii (I brought it with myself, it has mod chip, homebrew channel, etc. - so I see little reason to buy a new one).

But here I'm buying retail games. My wii still shows "update requred" on the disk channel so I am forced to use Gecko OS to run games and avoid bricking. I just learnt about DARKCORP - but on the site it say the disk read speed is 3x. Will I have that speed on originals?

Is it faster if I use Gecko OS?

2. XFlak

XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Sep 12, 2009
    Canada
    Ontario
    originals should play faster than backups regardless of how u launch them, and different methods of launching the discs don't make a difference (once its loaded)

3. damysteryman

damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Oct 4, 2007
    Only backup discs read at 3x speed.

Retail discs will still read at the full 6x read speed.

But if you're modchip is a "traditional" solder-in or wiiclip chip, it will also read backups at full speed.
    (if you have one of the newer, pass-through ribbon cable chips, it will read at the slower 3x speed).

For the update issues, just install priiloader along with a hacks.ini for your sysmenu, and use it to activate the "Block Disc Updates" hack.

4. zzhou
    OP

zzhou Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2008
    United States
    Thanks a lot! My son will be glad to see Mario Galaxy 2 banner tomorrow [​IMG]

5. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    I've actually been wondering about this. If the read speed is only half that of normal, wouldn't that affect the gameplay a lot?

6. Tux'

Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 8, 2009
    Canada
    The flat lands.

I've only noticed loading times are just a tiny bit longer, but that's about it, no video lags or anything else... Just longer loading screens

7. Sonic0509

Sonic0509 Sometimes I'm Maryushi3

Feb 1, 2008
    Poland
    Poland
    Install priiloader and activate "block disc updates" hack. It works on my Wii.

8. zzhou
    OP

zzhou Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2008
    United States
    Done [​IMG]