Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi

I am Italian and therefore I do not write so good English...sorry
I have a D2Pro9 and FW 3.3.
Assumption: I will only game backups with the ModChip, I am not interested in Homebrew.

- Can I make without problem a FW Update of the wii when the system asks me so that I am able to play the new games?
- Has the D2Pro an Update-Blocker, so that it is not possible to update the wii?
- If it has an Update-Blocker, then I can not play newer games which need a newer FW than 3.3?

Thanks and regards,
adrianomartins

SirTempest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i have a d2pro too
there is no problem in updating via internet
the d2pro updateblocker can be activated and deactivated with 1.7 config disk of the d2pro

Raziel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am running a d2pro and 4.0 backups of wii and gc games are running fine.

Posts merged

SirTempest said:
i have a d2pro too
there is no problem in updating via internet
the d2pro updateblocker can be activated and deactivated with 1.7 config disk of the d2pro
where do you get your Config disks?

adrianomartins

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot!
That means I can Update my Wii without bad conscience and there is no need to install the HBC/SoftMod (if I am not interested in Homebrew etc.).

Now I have another question:
Can I upgrade to FW 4.0 with my D2Pro9 without problem?

Other scenario:
If I downgrade my Wii to 3.2 (and install the HBC and a SoftMod), and then insert a disc that needs a newer FW than 3.2, will the wii ask me again to update my system if I start the game "normally" (not via SoftMod but on clicking on the game logo)?

Raziel5000

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can upgrade to 4.0 but also run that config disk from the link above to update firmware and stop updates from the disk. then you won't have to worry about those game disk updates.

adrianomartins

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry if I ask again...but if I stop updates from the disc, how can I play games that need newer FW than I have at the moment or in other words how can I update the FW if I stop the updates from the disc?
Do you speak about the FW of the chip or about the FW of the wii?

SirTempest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
if you want to update the fw of the wii then you can disable the updateblocker of the chip with the utilitydisc 1.7

if you don't want to use homebrew or anything like this then you don't need the updateblocker of the chip and it can stay disabled all the time

adrianomartins

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks!

last question:
If I downgrade to 3.2 and install HBC/SoftMod, can I start games that need FW newer than 3.2 with the ModChip nevertheless or is it than only possible via SoftMod?

SirTempest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
yes this is possible, but you have to extract the needed IOS with wii scrubber and active the update blocker of your chip. then you can install them with wad-manager. these new IOS are normally IOS 37,38,51 and IOS55

edit: i don't think you need to softmod your wii, as long as your chip works flawlessly

edit2: if you want to update to 4.0 and want to downgrade again to 3.2, then you should install a cIOS before you update to 4.0, otherwise there is no possibility to downgrade, at the moment

adrianomartins

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot SirTempest!

Do I understand it right: By installing the IOS via wad-manager it is like emulating the new FW but the real FW remains 3.2?

I see another problem if I do not install SoftMod:
What is if one day a game needs FW 5.0, I have updated the wii till FW 4.9 (otherwise I could not play the newer games) but the D2Pro does not work with FW 5.0?

SirTempest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
adrianomartins said:
Thanks a lot SirTempest!

Do I understand it right: By installing the IOS via wad-manager it is like emulating the new FW but the real FW remains 3.2?

yes and no
the games do not need a new firmware, they just need these IOS and the wii can stay on 3.2

QUOTEI see another problem if I do not install SoftMod:
What is if one day a game needs FW 5.0, I have updated the wii till FW 4.9 (otherwise I could not play the newer games) but the D2Pro does not work with FW 5.0?

if this happens, i think that some good and creative coders will find a workaround for this problem or maybe the chip will get a new firmware.
something like this already happened with mario galaxy. there was a new firmware ont the wii which could detect the modchips. but the coders needed less than two weeks and the modchips got an update and worked again

adrianomartins

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jetzt frage ich halt nochmals auf Deutsch, um ganz sicher zu gehen ;-)
Ich kann jeweils ein FW-Update vornehmen (ist ja zwingend, sonst laufen ja die neueren Spiele gar nicht) und der ModChip sollte nach wie vor laufen?

SirTempest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ich glaube aber, dass das nicht so gerne gesehen wird, wenn man in einer anderen sprache als englisch schreibt. ich könnte die aber ein nettes deutschsprachiges wii forum empfehlen, in dem ich auch kräftig mitlese.
ja, zur zeit gibt es keine firmware, die modchips irgendwelche probleme bereitet
aber wie gesagt, du musst nicht unbedingt die firmware der wii updaten. es reicht vollkommen, wenn du die benötigten IOS hast

i don't know if it is allowed to write in other languages than english. but i know a nice german-speaking forum

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1