Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

CycloDS Evolution Review

Official GBAtemp.net Review

GBAtemp's Official review of the CycloDS Evolution is now complete. If you're eager to see how this new slot-1 cart turned out, or need to learn a bit more about it, hit the link below to be taken to our review.
QUOTE said:
Announced back in May of this year, the CycloDS Evolution was anticipated by some while others remained dubious. The cart boasted a few new features that hadn't been seen before and some claims, such as full download play support that others companies have advertised before, but have failed to fulfil their promise. Today we're going to take a thorough look at the CycloDS Evolution to see whether or not this new kit is worth your cash or if it's still in the Stone Age!
Thanks to Team Cyclops for providing us with sample kits.

Please feel free to leave comments on the review in this thread.

icon11.gif
Official GBAtemp.net review of the CycloDS Evolution

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm amazed that out of all the carts out there, the CycloDS has actually lived up to everything that was claimed.

Great review.

Jawas

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Been waiting to hear about this card, great to see download play working and tested, always a good feature for multi ds players. Good review.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
thanks for the good review, you pretty much answered all the questions that i wanted answered, btw the videos are taking an age to complete, they keep starting and stopping.

however there is a few bugs and stuff that i don't like about the cycloDS and the fact you can't update the action replay cheat codes is a negative, real time save would have been awesome if it was available, i will just wait and see if R4DS catches up, if not i might reconsider buying this flash cart, but again i want to see if cycloDS will abandon their slot 1 flash cart after a certain amount time because they seem to have abandon their previous slot 2 flash carts.

another question i would like to ask, do you have to install moonshell? can the cycloDS run fine without it? i would love to be able to do that and save space, also you said at first that the cycloDS does not put any system files onto your micro SD yet later on in the review you said when cycloDS runs it saves system setting files so it still does save system files to the micro SD, just like any slot 1 flash cart out there.

also another reason i am interested in the cycloDS is the fact it has full touch screen support when browsing games and files the R4DS has yet to put this on their flash cart and i think enough people have waited ages for them to do so and they have failed to do anything about it so far which is a shame, it's quite lousy having to use the D-pad to move around the menus and select your game, the cycloDS is fully touch screen, it's what the R4DS should have been from the start tbh.

bah, it doesn't support gba flash carts in slot 2, only for DS games in slot 2, a shame, my G6 lite wouldn't work if i tried to play gba games i'm presuming?

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Nice review.
yaynds.gif

I dissagree with the mark it gets though, if you compare it with R4, I think CycloDS has more advantages over it then disadvantages.
Looking at the cons, Still requires a good quality micro SD card for a few particular games and Only available in white apply for both R4 and CycloDS.
In game menu causes slight graphical hiccups, well R4 doesn't have one.
Cart build quality not top notch, R4's springloader wasn't that great either.

So that only leaves only the price and the freebies left, but for that you get perfect download play compatibility, real touch gui, in game menu stuff, sdhc compatibility. I think that makes them at least even.

Ah well, opinions differ, the review is well done.
yaynds.gif

PS: Will you be lowering the ds-x score sometime? With it still having a 9.5 people may think it's better then the rest or something...
unsure.gif

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Meh, my R4DS Spring is working just perfect. Never had a single problem, you just need to push it in slow and carefully. Been working fine for many months now.

Anyway.. back to the topic. This looks like a great card, would probally consider buying it I didnt have my R4. Also I have my faith in that R4 will continue their great support to keep adding features
smile.gif

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shaun,

You had planned on raising and lowering scores on other flash carts. Does the R4's 9.0 rating correspond correctly to the CycloDS Evo's 8.7?

Also, (for those of you who have the Evo) does formatting the card with FAT16/64k clusters improve PoR performance like on the R4?

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shaun,

You had planned on raising and lowering scores on other flash carts. Does the R4's 9.0 rating correspond correctly to the CycloDS Evo's 8.7?
We still plan to do this. The current score of the Cyclo reflects the R4's current 9/10. Suffice to say we plan to raise the R4s score in the near future, and the Cyclo will probably be raised to a 9.0 (dependant on improved features/support or lack thereof).

Phantastic

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice review.
yaynds.gif

I dissagree with the mark it gets though, if you compare it with R4, I think CycloDS has more advantages over it then disadvantages.
Looking at the cons, Still requires a good quality micro SD card for a few particular games and Only available in white apply for both R4 and CycloDS.
In game menu causes slight graphical hiccups, well R4 doesn't have one.
Cart build quality not top notch, R4's springloader wasn't that great either.

So that only leaves only the price and the freebies left, but for that you get perfect download play compatibility, real touch gui, in game menu stuff, sdhc compatibility. I think that makes them at least even.

Ah well, opinions differ, the review is well done.
yaynds.gif

PS: Will you be lowering the ds-x score sometime? With it still having a 9.5 people may think it's better then the rest or something...
unsure.gif

As I was reading the review, I was sooo sure it was gonna score at least a 9.0, but an 8.7? It has full download play and great touchscreen usage in the menus. I don't think freebies should really justify a higher score. This is just my opinion, though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: lol