Currently v3.1, question on upgrade

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by R35, Feb 25, 2009.

Feb 25, 2009
  1. R35
    OP

Newcomer R35 Member

United States
    Hi. Mk, so I have firmware 3.1, righty? Here's the situation: I can't go online without updating. HOWEVER, BY UPDATING, I WILL LOSE MY HOMEBREWS AND STUFF. Can I upgrade to 3.4 without having to run Twilight hack again?

I also do NOT OWN Twilight Princess, so I have a question: Is there a way to upgrade to 3.4 and not lose my custom channels? Also, does v3.3 support online play?

Another question: If 3.3 supports online with 3.4 being out, and if I update to 3.3 from 3.1, will I lose my homebrews?

Well thanks. If you have any more suggestions, I'd be happy to know. Thank you.

Edit: I would just like to say MOH: Heroes 2 is a piece of crap, and wondering if the online play justifies all the trouble of updating.

2. wpilgrim

Newcomer wpilgrim Member

United States
    DJtaz has a nice how to guide for installing the homebrew channel and wiigators backup launcher. In the guide and included zipped folder he has a safe update tool that goes in your homebrew channel and after running this your wii will be safely updated to 3.3 thus allowing you internet access check just look for the link in djtazs' signature in any one of his posts

3. R35
    OP

Newcomer R35 Member

United States
    Thank you.

4. deceptica

Newcomer deceptica Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I'm on 3.1E at the moment. Is there any good reason to update? I'm not bothered about going online.

Cheers.

5. computerboy

Member computerboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Switzerland
    For Starfall and Preloader and it's the best firmware for homebrew

6. deceptica

United Kingdom
    oh right. cheers computerboy. I'll look into upgrading.

7. R35
    OP

Newcomer R35 Member

United States
    The DJTaz guides confuse me, I don't know how exactly it works.

I also read somewhere you can go online with 3.1? I can connect to internet with full bars, but I think I need to update to go online. (I also can't update, it gives me an error everytime)

8. wpilgrim

Newcomer wpilgrim Member

United States
    you will have to update above 3.1 for some online capabilities for sure (wii shop etc). what about his guide confuses you?? all you really need from it if you already have the tp hack, homebrew channel installed etc. is the safe update program from his zip file just take it from his zip and put it on your sd card under apps folder then it will show up as a tab in your homebrew channel run and thats it. safely up to 3.3, internet access, and your tp and homebrew are still in working order. straight up. (this is how i did it as i had tp and homebrew installed on a 3.1 long before i eventually got on the net with my wii. used the safe updater and all is great!)

9. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    whatever method you choose to update, you will probably have to manually install IOS37 via wad, or you will get the resetting wii error when selecting some channels.

10. deceptica

United Kingdom
    I just used the cIOSDowngrader_v1.2 to update from 3.1 to 3.2. Everything still seems to be working as expected. Is it as simple as that, job done?