CPU Fan speed, running too fast

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Zetta_x, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Zetta_x
    OP

Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

Mar 4, 2010
    United States
    About a year or 2 ago, I had an HP desktop with a propitiatory foxconn motherboard. I ended up replacing it with an ASUS motherboard that had a 4 pin cpu fan slot. However, the cpu fan from the last computer only had room for 3 pins; it still plugged in. However, the second the computer starts up, it's loud as fuck. It's consistent, it's not changing the fan speed based on temperatures indicating it's not a heat issue (at about 32 C temperature it should not be running this fast anyways).

I think it has something to do with mixing the 3 pin fan with the 4 pin motherboard clip; it seemed like there was no other way to plug it in, so would I have to invest in a new cpu fan to fix this or was I able to shift it down a pin to fix this?

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    IIRC, normally the third pin is for reading the fan speed and voltage control. I never did find out what the fourth pin is for. If it's not reading the speed properly or if BIOS has been set with an over-protective CPU fan profile, then that can cause it to run at full speed all the time.

In my head, when I hear "loud CPU fan", I always read it as "time to get a new CPU fan". Arctic Freezer are great in that respect.

3. Lanlan

Lanlan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 4, 2011
    United States
    I always thought the fourth pin was a fan speed controller. But I could be wrong.

4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    If you need 4 pins for all speed-controlled fans, how would the motherboard (or fan controllers) control the speed of the case fans, which usually come with 3-pin connectors.

5. Zetta_x
    OP

Zetta_x The Insane Statistician

Mar 4, 2010
    United States
    ^^ That and the fan worked dynamically in the HP motherboard (only has 3 pins). I have been wanting to upgrade my cpu fan for a while; nothing fancy as within the next few years I'll probably give this to my brother and build another computer.

6. chains_of_androm

chains_of_androm GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2012
    United States
    Get speedtemp, you should be able to manipulate fan speed that way.

7. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    4th pin is the pwm control signal.

4pins= fan speed is controlled by pwm. 3pins=fan speed is controlled by voltage.

Some boards have bios options to tell it whether you are using a 3pin fan on the header and to use voltage control on it or whether it's a 4pin fan and to use pwm control, some even auto detect. I don't believe Asus bios has the option. My 990fx sabertooth which is one of their higher end boards does not have it. Stick a 3pin fan on the 4 pin cpu header and you get no control.

1 person likes this.