could I build a good gaming PC with

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by CJL18, Dec 2, 2014.

1. CJL18
    OP

CJL18 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 4, 2007
    United States
    About 1000-1200'dollars

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Yeah, you can for sure, I spent around $1100 for mine in early 2013, not super high-end, but it certainly gets the job done.

3. JoostinOnline

JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Yeah, but you'd be better off buying a high-end PC for a place like Best Buy, then just replacing what you need to upgrade. It's cheaper than building a computer from scratch, and you can sell the original parts for what you replace.

4. CJL18
    OP

Mar 4, 2007
    United States
    U must have never built our own PC before its a lot cheaper building it than buying it prebuilt

vayanui8 and filfat like this.
  5. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    There is no point to buy OEM computer then swap parts. You lose warranty and support.

Not to mention OEM computer is considerably more expensive than comparable DIY PC. People buy OEM computer for convenience and/or warranty & support.

I fail to see how buying OEM computer then upgrade will save you any money over DIY computer. If you mess with the motherboard you also stand to lose Windows OEM license.

filfat likes this.
  6. CompassNorth

CompassNorth Denko (´・ω・`)

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, something like this
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($28.99 @ Micro Center)
    Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.59 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card ($354.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($76.18 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $972.68
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-02 06:52 EST-0500
    Edit: I forgot to add the OS, so add another $100

7. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    Not if you're smart about it. You just need to watch out for that one great sale, and do a good job selling the original parts.

If you don't have the patience to find a great deal, then yes, you'll end up spending more on an OEM computer. It's all about playing it smart. I've built computers myself, and I've upgraded OEM computers.

8. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    $1200 would easily get you a solid rig. A bit lower would be fine as well if you cut off some of the bells and whistles (like a cheaper case and stuff, I spent quite a bit on my lovely beast of a case).

You have no idea what you're talking about.
    On sale an OEM computer will cost probably just a bit more, if it's a screamin' deal.
    You must be thinking of shitty sites like Alienware where you make-your-very-own-but-not-really branded computer and pay out the ass.

Sites like NCIX basically let you pick the parts you want and then can get it built for a small additional fee (like...$15?). These parts can and usually are on sale as well or offer rebates/bonuses/discounts on other parts. Meaning if you catch some good parts sales, there's essentially no way an OEM computer could stand up price wise. That and as people have already said, OEM computers are basically for convenience and warranty and fucking with the parts throws half of that out the window.

9. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    You're missing the part where you resell the original parts.

10. marcus134

marcus134 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 7, 2011
    Canada
    Québec
    The cpu will sell
    The psu, mobo and case will get you pennies, cause they're no name crap
    the hdd is a keeper for storage, else to sell for cheap and it if the mailman drops it then you have to refund.
    dvd is a keeper cause they're cheap anyway.

If you buy a "gaming" pc then you have to pay the gamer tax ( you get even less quality per dollar) and get you a 60$ gpu that nobody really wants.

11. JoostinOnline

Apr 2, 2011
    United States
    The Twilight Zone
    I'm speaking from experience. Also, you don't sell to people who know what stuff is worth. ;)

12. Ubuntuの刀

Ubuntuの刀 :^D

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
  13. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    1k really is a lot of dough for for a PC but it depends on what you want for gaming... What compass north said looks good but could be even less if you edit parts. Also since no one has asked what do you want to play?

14. CJL18
    OP

Mar 4, 2007
    United States
    Every game that's out and every game that will come out in the next 3-5 years

15. CompassNorth

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    No, those builds are terrible for the price

16. Ubuntuの刀

Ubuntuの刀 :^D

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    Is there a better website that gives better prices?

17. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    That is absolutely terrible advice and a complete waste of time and money. Even if you sell of a couple of things you will still be stuck with things like cheap motherboards and PSU's and so on. Plus like others have said you will lost the warranty on the pc.

For $1000 you can build a very respectable gaming pc via sites like newegg, It sounds like you don't have have much of an idea where to start so either get someone you know to help choose the parts or run a build by everyone here and let us tweak it for you.

18. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Really building a PC is always less expensive no matter what price. Its just simply buying something is always more expensive than building it yourself and that goes for anything really (food is a great example).. Anyway I'd say for 1k you really can make a great PC that will last for a while

19. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I think plenty of people here can give advice on a solid computer build, but I don't think any of us have a time machine capable of answering if your rig will still be as relevant 3-5 years from now.
    ...well I think we had one delusional time traveler, but :unsure:

20. CompassNorth

Oct 18, 2011
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    Better prices? That site isn't a store.
    Doing your own research taking advantages of sales like the ones advertised on PCPartsPicker will lead to a better computer.