Hardware Correcting a sticked-on Screen Lense (GBA SP)

Meckload

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hey everyone!

The lense of my aftermarket GBA SP screen is sticked on slightly skewed. I’ve noticed that it would be possible to remove the lense and the screen from each other by tearing them apart carefully, but I’m unsure if that would damage the components. If the only issue is glue residue, I imagine I could remove that and then rely on the pressure within the top part of the GBA to hold them together. Does anyone have any experience with removing a lense from a screen?

Thanks!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have done bit of this for phones, where you often have quite potent glues (if it is coming apart easily here then you don't have that and a basic glue at best). Best way I ever saw/found was find a strong wire/string, whether dental floss will work here I am not sure but worth a try. Best ones were heated wires but don't go that far.
Give it a bit of a heat with a heat gun (can even be a paint one if you want) drag it through like you are using a cheese wire and it should separate. At that point you are onto mechanical or chemical means, preferably chemical but be careful as acetone (a lot of nail polish removers), mek and other things you might find in a house or chatting to a chemistry inclined friend can do a number on your plastics ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-remove-nail-polish-stain-from-nintendo-switch.579083/ was a thread from earlier today, scroll down a bit and imagine that on your screen if you picked wrong). To that end "try in an inconspicuous place" and also by mechanical then don't use sandpaper -- it was more for rags and whatever that bundle up any loose glue residue (and if you are doing this in the future to a broken screen device then make 100% sure there is nothing there as sandpaper is also called glasspaper by some for a reason).

Reactions: Meckload

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Do not use Acetone at all. It will instantly desolve ABS (GBA shell) and acrylic lenses. The only place i would use it is on the PCB if you have strong corrosion. Obviously not anywhhere near plastic parts.

Reactions: Meckload

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs