Considering a TG-16

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by garbanzox, Feb 10, 2014.

1. garbanzox
    OP

garbanzox GBAtemp Regular

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    There are so many great games for this system, I am really thinking about picking one up (along with a Krikzz flash cart, of course!). Is it worthwhile? Does it play nice with modern TVs? Are the controllers easy to disassemble and clean? Does it have any quirks that I need to be aware of before looking for one on eBay?

Thanks!

2. ILuvGames

ILuvGames GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2011
    London
    Unless it has an RF input then no, it won't play on your modern tv. There was an official add-on from Nec themselves called Turbo Booster for it which added composite a/v connectors. Unless you are really lucky, it won't be cheap. If you are good with electronics you can open up the TG-16 and do it yourself. There are several videos on Youtube showing how. A more convenient way would be to use/buy an old VHS video recorder with composite and/or scart out and run the signal through that.

3. garbanzox
    OP

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the tips. My TV does have an RF input I'm not using, and that actually works fine since my composite hub is currently at max capacity with other older consoles :)

Of course the video quality would be better with the addon... I will keep my eyes open :)

4. ILuvGames

ILuvGames GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2011
    London
    If you wanna spend the money, why not get a turbografx-cd add-on ? Then you could play cd games as well as having the composite a/v connector that it comes with.

5. garbanzox
    OP

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    Hadn't considered it, but now that I read it can play burned disks without any hardmod, I might go for that. Would love to play Mugen Senshi Valis or a little Dracula X on some original hardware!

6. tbgtbg

tbgtbg Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky

Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Be aware that the TG16+CD add on requires a system card, and the one that original came with it won't play all CD games. The later card tends to be pretty expensive now, or at least it was last time I was looking for one a while back.

If you really want to get into CD it may be worth looking into a TurboDUO instead, as it by default played more games (still there are some games from Japan that won't play, due to needing another card, with more ram on it)

7. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    I'd just get a regular PC engine or a PC engine duo, getting a US turboduo in working order is extremely expensive, like $350-$400. Also Japanese PC engine titles are usually cheaper (avoid Slyphia, Cotton's US release, and Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire they can run up to $300+), if you have an old CD burner and good media, just burn some ISOs of those terribly expensive titles.

For the system card, get a super system card if you aren't getting the PC Engine Duo.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I see no reason why you shouldn't but a TurboGrafx-16 or a PC Engine - from what I heard, the system has some really cool exclusives and could be a crowning jewel of a retro collector's collection. :yay:

9. garbanzox
    OP

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the tips. I'm still undecided. My Wii emulates all hucards and cds just fine, so it's hard to justify spending the $$ :)

10. garbanzox
    OP

Jan 9, 2014
    United States
    Will a NTSC-J PC Engine CoreGrafx 2 work OK on an NTSC-U tv?

11. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    The Turbo GFX 16 was and is by far, one of the best game consoles I have ever owned! I used to plug the audio output into my Hi-Fi and blast Legendary Axe II while I played it. Very fond memories!