Confirmed: Need for Speed No More

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rumors of Electronic Arts cutting the Need for Speed series is looking confirmed. A press release from the publisher officially announced that they will be closing the studio EA Black Box, home to the Need for Speed and Skate franchises.

News Source: PSPUpdates

Update! NFS and Skate franchise are not dead. A quote:

QUOTE said:
EA's Black Box, the studio that was in charge of the Need for Speed and Skate franchises is closing down. However, its franchises and some of the staff are moving over to a nearby EA studio in British Columbia.

News Source: IGN

IGN isn't exactly a credible source anymore..because they keep changing things or misunderstanding things but meh, we'll see.

Sstew

GBAtemp's Grim Reaper.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That sucks, Granted the last Need For Speed I enjoyed was Most Wanted, I still liked the series
I wonder if Skate is done?, I hope not, it was beginning to bring some stiff competition to Tony Hawk.

That last TH I enjoyed was Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4. Everything after that just isn't the same.
I thought Skate was really good though

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Quite sad really. I'm sure Criterion will take great care of the NFS series if they're in their hands from now on. Heck Criterion could probably even take on Skate. I don't know if anyone here remembers a game called AirBlade? That was a hovering style skateboard game by Criterion for the PS2.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Too bad, it was my favourite series of racing games
frown.gif

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Shutting down the studio is part of EA's restructuring plan that hopes to save them US$ 120 million in annual costs. Part of the plan is to reduce their overall workforce by 10%, or 1,000 people.

The press release also stated that Black Box is only one of at least nine studios and publishing locations that will be either consolidated or shut down. This means we can expect a lot more of EA's franchises to be in danger of being axed. I'm crossing my fingers that BioWare and Maxis won't be affected.

Now this is not official confirmation that EA is abandoning the Need for Speed franchise, but it's not looking good. Better to just look forward to Gran Turismo 5. We may not see it for a while, but at least we know it's coming.

Votkrath

Trophies
XP
Country
Banger said:
QUOTE said:
Shutting down the studio is part of EA's restructuring plan that hopes to save them US$ 120 million in annual costs. Part of the plan is to reduce their overall workforce by 10%, or 1,000 people.

The press release also stated that Black Box is only one of at least nine studios and publishing locations that will be either consolidated or shut down. This means we can expect a lot more of EA's franchises to be in danger of being axed. I'm crossing my fingers that BioWare and Maxis won't be affected.

Now this is not official confirmation that EA is abandoning the Need for Speed franchise, but it's not looking good. Better to just look forward to Gran Turismo 5. We may not see it for a while, but at least we know it's coming.

Well, yeah, but they always write something like that just because they can't be 100% sure. The chances of it keep being produced is rather small as well.

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well the thread title should not be "Confirmed: Need for Speed No More" as it is not confirmed. There is another thread that said each game a new studio would would make it hopping between 4 studios or whatever.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
NFS is confirmed NOT DEAD.
i think a recent news message stated that different teams would be taking over NFS development, so there would be more difference between each version.

ackers

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yeah exactly. it said criterion games would be taking over development of the next nfs title. so nfs can't exactly be dead, it's just the team behind it are now dead (or at least won't be making nfs again).

Rock Raiyu

Clock Up
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thedicemaster said:
NFS is confirmed NOT DEAD.
i think a recent news message stated that different teams would be taking over NFS development, so there would be more difference between each version.
Yeah, there's a new news update. NFS isn't dead.

ackers said:
yeah exactly. it said criterion games would be taking over development of the next nfs title. so nfs can't exactly be dead, it's just the team behind it are now dead (or at least won't be making nfs again).
No, Criterion Games isn't taking over developement.

EA's Black Box, the studio that was in charge of the Need for Speed and Skate franchises is closing down. However, its franchises and some of the staff are moving over to a nearby EA studio in British Columbia.

They really need to make up there mind about this. >___>

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oj did the Dj