Concerns about the s4 active

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones and Media Players' started by kenenthk, Jul 20, 2013.

1. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Do you guys think the buy would be pretty pointless if I buy a ottherbox for the galaxy s4, since the s4 active will obviously still crack is there really that major improvement that just get me excited for it? I mean I don't take my phones out in water. I can see how water resistant may be a tad useful say if you have an important call and you're taking a shower or just want to crank up some music in showers.

One thing I do kind of like about the active is physical buttons. But Idk.

What specs differ from it?

Also is there any root access for overclocking yet? Not sure how well devs are doing with 4.2, someone told me that you aren't able to load APKs in dev mode anymore?

Cheers.

2. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    If you already have an s4, there wouldn't seem much point to the active.

3. kenenthk
    OP

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    I dont have either, from what I know the only things that really differ is the s4 active is water resistant and the s4 has a better camera as well as display

4. Thanatos Telos

Thanatos Telos random stuff

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    And that's why I got my S4. I got a cheap Boxwave case on it and not a single scratch.

5. mysticwaterfall

mysticwaterfall Streamforce Supreme Commander

Aug 11, 2008
    United States
    Right behind you
    That is what I understood as well. Depends on if the water proofing (well, 30 mins in 1m of water) is worth the downgraded camera and screen. Personally, if I didn't have either and could get them for the same price I would get the active since my phone camera is mostly for Facebook and stuff anyways and the screens are fairly close.

Edit: To clarify though, the above is because I think it would be cool to use my phone in the bathtub without fear of dropping it. Otherwise, the S4 would be my choice.

6. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2008
    Colombia
    From Where???
    i read complaints about dust, sand, dirt, etc, getting stuck under the physical buttons (even the single home button of the s4), and how difficult it is to clean it out. i see the amount of pocket dust/link that my phone picks up and it makes me worry what will get trapped under the s4 button(s).

-another world

7. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    s4 active has a lower quality camera
    uses a TFT LCD screen rather than an Super AMOLED
    users also mentioned signal problems with the active

8. CrimzonEyed

CrimzonEyed GBAtemp Addict

Sep 3, 2007
    I use my note 2 in the shower. Just wrap it nicely in plastic folie/stretch film / stretch wrap or w/e the correct name is. Works like a sharm in the bath tub too.

9. CrimzonEyed

CrimzonEyed GBAtemp Addict

Sep 3, 2007
    I use my note 2 in the shower. Just wrap it nicely in plastic folie/stretch film / stretch wrap or w/e the correct name is. Works like a sharm in the bath tub too.

Edit: my note 2 have never gotten dust/sand/durt under my home button. And that's with both jeans and a couple of other different pants.