Hardware Component Cables

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can someone explain to me the component cables for Wii? Are they much better than RGB-cables and do you need a special TV to be able to use it?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They are the best cables you can get for the Wii, you need them if you plan on playing games in 480p. You will need either a HDTV or EDTV with component input to get 480p.

SpaceJump

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So if I don't have a HDTV or EDTV is there any benefit in buying a component cable and not an RGB-cable? Do component cables even work on "normal" TVs?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There are TVs that have component input that don't support 480p or above, but if you don't have component input on your TV then go for RGB SCART or S-Video.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm looking to buy a TV but the french name is not "component".
(I think it's composite but I need to be sure)

on the TV specs, I have name like input 1 CVBS, input 2 YpbPr
Is one of those good for the wii HD?

I found a picture of Wii cable, wich one is the component, left one ?
wii_component_cable2.jpg

I only know yellow for video and white/red for audio
Could you tell me what are the left cable color for ?

Pado

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The left one in the photo is the Component cable. Like you can see, only the red and white audio plugs are similar. The Yellow plug of the composite cable (right on the photo) is splitted up in three signals for the component cable, which became the Blue-Green-Red plugs.

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CVBS - Composite (apprently)
YpbPr - Component

The cable on the left is the component cable, and there are 5 connectors, 2 for audio (red and white) and 3 for video (red, blue and green). The colours match up on the TV when you hook it up.

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've been wondering the following:

I have a very tiny little tv set. It would suck to a play a Wii on that I guess.
But I have a nice laptop with a beautiful screen. On it I watch movies and with an external Pinnacle PCTV USB device I can watch TV on my laptop. That Pinnacle PCTV has also got S-video input. So I was wondering if anybody could tell if that setup would result in a good Wii experience (using the S-video via my Pinnacle PCTV)
Otherwise I will have to buy a whole new TV set for my Wii!

isamux

Trophies
XP
Country
^.. the s-video would probably look better. You might also want to watch out for how you will get sound, if you have an external stereo you could hook up to then great, but you'd have to be close to the stereo... Check if your TV card has some sort of audio in. Then you're set. (If it all possible we should all get VGA cables, they are just that much better than component... and would work for everyone here... cause we're all using a computer monitor to look at this board!
smile.gif
)

inter4ever

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You also need to check if the TV you are going to get actually supports 480p.Even if a TV has component inputs,that doesn't mean necessarily that it support 480p(like my samsung plano TV)

Phrostay

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I haven't actually checked this TV out yet (Click Here!!!) but I don't think it supports 480p. However would it be comparable to RGB-Scart quality even though it has a DVD component? I'm thinking about getting a Wii sometime but I can't afford a shiny LCD right now and somebody mentioned to me that CRT's have some kind of advantage over LCD's in particular areas but they are rather minor.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.etonline.com/daniel-radcliffe-reacts-to-harry-potter-reboot-series-offers-advice-excl...