OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Splych said:
omfg... That is awesomee! Gaming Beast ^^. I (well my dad) used to shop at Tiger Direct until he found Canada Computers. Mainly because things were cheaper and there was a wider selection of things to choose from.

Anyway, since it is gonna be a gaming beast... I would recommend:
- IntelCore i7 920 (or 950. Both are good)
- At least 4GB Ram (8GB is also awesome, but it is best to start off with 4GB)
- 500GB HDD (1TB = Over IMO. When you have the money, buy another 500GB HDD and there you have it, 1TB. Then you either have the choice of changing one of the HDD to a larger size, buy another 500GB and make that an external drive or you could get a 1TB as an external drive)
- 512MB VideoCard (Like I said, good to start off with, then upgrade to a 1GB)

Those are the main things for what I see in a Gaming Beast. I guess you can say with what I recommend, not very beastly, but more like... Tiger size. So it is a Gaming Tiger which is gonna evolve into a Gaming Beast slowly xDD.

Those are the like dream pieces of a Gaming Computer to me. One day, I will make it ^^.

hmm not bad not bad. i think i'm gonna aim for something even more powerful. right now i have a laptop that's quite a beast (can play any game i throw at it, except cyrsis lol) its core 2 duo 2.0, 4gb ddr2, nvidia 9600gt 512mb, and a 320gb hdd. so perhaps in 2 yrs or so, this new desktop is gonna be a monster (like i7, with 2gb graphics card or something hehe)

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
More powerful!? And how can't that Laptop load anything, it has 4GB Ram and a 512MB Graphics card. Damn, it is better than my PC. Only thing is that it has a smaller HDD!

I really need to get a better PC xDD. The only thing I can think of when making those parts better are getting a better graphics card and a stronger core.

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Splych said:
More powerful!? And how can't that Laptop load anything, it has 4GB Ram and a 512MB Graphics card. Damn, it is better than my PC. Only thing is that it has a smaller HDD!

I really need to get a better PC xDD. The only thing I can think of when making those parts better are getting a better graphics card and a stronger core.
the graphics card isn't what's lacking. its the cpu
sleep.gif

stupid gta iv lol. it needs quad core lmao. and don't get me started on crysis.. but that game isn't that good anyways, so w/e

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A few years time? what you want is

Quadcore of sorts, ideally now its the i7's or phenom x4's. Games right now don't really support quad cores all that well but the list should rise within the next few years.

windows 7 should be out by then so i'd go for 8gb, rams pretty cheap these days.

600-700w psu. thats overkill, even for those parts imo but it'd be good if you intend to o/c or anything

maybe something by ati with their new dx11 cards. hopefully by then nvidia have their dx11 cards out as well. you'll probably have to ask again at the time. Now i'd go with 4870's crossfired purely cause of the price. but if you like single card configs i'd go for the gtx 295.

Dedicated sound card. you want a dedicated sound card cause believe or not, you lose some performance in gaming if you use the onboard sound. not sure if you'll notice it with a quad core though.

right now i'm running 3.12 dual core, 4670 1gb ram and 2gb ram. it runs most games i throw at it on highish. last game i had lag with was prototype but that was probably due to the amount of enemies on screen at once.

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Why the hell does GTA IV need a quad core... Life doesn't make sense some times. CoD4 IMO has better graphics and runs on my P4 xDD. Crysis doesn't look amazing... Play a proper FPS! Get CoD, Brothers in Arms, Medal of Honor!

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Splych said:
Why the hell does GTA IV need a quad core... Life doesn't make sense some times. CoD4 IMO has better graphics and runs on my P4 xDD. Crysis doesn't look amazing... Play a proper FPS! Get CoD, Brothers in Arms, Medal of Honor!

Poor optimisation for the most part. GTAIV also has a lot more things going on the screen at the same time as well. it is far more system intensive than cod4 is.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
2 years down the line, it's going to be a completely different computer. In the next year or so, they are going to be releasing SATA3 and USB3, Win 7 with DX11, etc, etc. Worry about it then.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
da_head said:
Splych said:
omfg... That is awesomee! Gaming Beast ^^. I (well my dad) used to shop at Tiger Direct until he found Canada Computers. Mainly because things were cheaper and there was a wider selection of things to choose from.

Anyway, since it is gonna be a gaming beast... I would recommend:
- IntelCore i7 920 (or 950. Both are good)
- At least 4GB Ram (8GB is also awesome, but it is best to start off with 4GB)
- 500GB HDD (1TB = Over IMO. When you have the money, buy another 500GB HDD and there you have it, 1TB. Then you either have the choice of changing one of the HDD to a larger size, buy another 500GB and make that an external drive or you could get a 1TB as an external drive)
- 512MB VideoCard (Like I said, good to start off with, then upgrade to a 1GB)

Those are the main things for what I see in a Gaming Beast. I guess you can say with what I recommend, not very beastly, but more like... Tiger size. So it is a Gaming Tiger which is gonna evolve into a Gaming Beast slowly xDD.

Those are the like dream pieces of a Gaming Computer to me. One day, I will make it ^^.

hmm not bad not bad. i think i'm gonna aim for something even more powerful. right now i have a laptop that's quite a beast (can play any game i throw at it, except cyrsis lol) its core 2 duo 2.0, 4gb ddr2, nvidia 9600gt 512mb, and a 320gb hdd. so perhaps in 2 yrs or so, this new desktop is gonna be a monster (like i7, with 2gb graphics card or something hehe)
well all I can say right now is save your money

your not gonna get a gaming beast with $500

da_head

A dying dream..
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Splych said:
heh don't worry, i play cod 4
tongue.gif
(hacked servers ftw)

Jiggah said:
2 years down the line, it's going to be a completely different computer. In the next year or so, they are going to be releasing SATA3 and USB3, Win 7 with DX11, etc, etc. Worry about it then.
win 7 has dx11? that's sexy. like i said, i'm just familiarizing myself with the computer building process.

QUOTE(Joe88 @ Jul 18 2009, 10:52 PM)
well all I can say right now is save your money

your not gonna get a gaming beast with $500

i already cleared up that confusion
sleep.gif

i am NOT getting a $500 computer.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Enjoy paying 20%+ more on a computer because your Canadian.
dry.gif
When I got my computer it was about $850CA in Canada and about $700CA in the US...

If you can, drive down to the US to buy it.

zkamuiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Pick a computer configuration from this thread, they're all gaming configurations, and give great money for performance, and read the first post, as it explains the processor chosen, and to convert to Canadian prices just replace the .com for .ca.
My suggestion for saving money:
1-www.shopbot.ca and select your parts
2-price match with www.ncix.com
3-select a cheap item from ncix that gives the entire order free shipping
4-you save 8% PST, and only have to pay for the 5%GST,

Reason being that their HQ is not in Ontario and therefore cannot charge you provincial sales tax that does not go to the province, and the GST is nation wide.

moose3

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Might be a bit late now, but some hardware review sites have computer build guides, such as Anandtech , or Tom's Hardware. They normally break down several builds based on price. Anandtech also has both AMD or Intel based systems for the price range. They will also somewhere have a step by step guide to building the comp somewhere on the site if you need a bit more help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/zzu0VHzy7tU?si=V2sI-JSptJg0SWmC