Compiling differences between O3DS and N3DS /w Gateway

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by elunesgrace, May 5, 2015.

1. elunesgrace
    OP

elunesgrace GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2011
    Canada
    Hey guys,

So I noticed a few differences between how the booting in Gateway differs between the two models, and was wondering if this is true for the rest of you as well:

- After post-version 2.7, Gateway mode always booted reliably on the O3DS. However on the N3DS I noticed you have some of the old issues, such as sometimes hanging on trying to boot Gateway mode (using the mset).

- There seems to be a substantial increase in battery drain on the N3DS in Gateway mode vs the O3DS.

If I can get some confirmations from others, and maybe we can make a list of the differences?

2. BobDoleOwndU

BobDoleOwndU GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 28, 2013
    Canada
    This means you haven't unlinked your emuNAND and sysNAND on your N3DS. I can change themes and settings on my N3DS's emuNAND and my sysNAND is not affected.

3. elunesgrace
    OP

Dec 21, 2011
    Canada
    This is the first I've heard about unlinking. How do you go about doing that? Because with my O3DS I didn't do anything extra, it was not linked by default.

Are there any pros/cons to doing it?

4. dedChar

dedChar (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

May 5, 2015
    Gambia, The
    To unlink your sysNAND from emuNAND you have to format your sysNAND, while (IMPORTANT) your SD Card is NOT inserted.

Pros:
    - Themes/Settings are not shared anymore
    - You don't have to 'unwrap' your installed cias each time

Cons:
    -

5. BobDoleOwndU

BobDoleOwndU GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 28, 2013
    Canada
    To unlink you simply need to format either your emuNAND or your sysNAND, this will separate the two NANDs and changes on one will no longer affect the other. If you are going to format your sysNAND remove your micro SD before you do it, otherwise the contents of your SD will be wiped (alternatively, you can backup the entire contents of the SD and restore them afterwards, might be a good idea to back them up either way). Pros include: changes on sysNAND no longer affect changes on emuNAND (and vice-versa), and it fixes the cia unwrapping bug. I personally can't think of any cons.

6. StarOfDoom

StarOfDoom GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2015
    United States
    Go to System Settings (SysNand), go to format, just before you click format take out the SD card, format, after it's done put the SD card back in, done.

EDIT: Woah, we all posted how to at the exact same time haha.

7. elunesgrace
    OP

Dec 21, 2011
    Canada
    You all did!

I'll edit the top since your suggestions worked.