[COMMUNITY SURVEY RESULTS] The GBATemp Community is...

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do know that you need to conduct a statistical analysis to prove that the responses are statistically significant?

Anyways, now I see why you conducted the poll and it was a very clever but simple idea. I also like Snipperclips made it into the Top 5 games played.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do know that you need to conduct a statistical analysis to prove that the responses are statistically significant?
I did analyse the statistics, I delivered a couple of conclusions, and provided the full results to inform anyone else who wants to comment their conclusions. Or are you referring to something else?
Anyways, now I see why you conducted the poll and it was a very clever but simple idea.
There is one more thing I'm going to be doing with it, but that's in early, early development, and it'll take awhile, a long while. The survey is only a component of it, but I had to report on the results while they were hot 'n' fresh.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did analyse the statistics, I delivered a couple of conclusions, and provided the full results to inform anyone else who wants to comment their conclusions. Or are you referring to something else?
P-values? Confidence intervals? The standard tests that determine statistical significance. While certain percentages are greater than others, those differences are meaningless without proving their significance.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
When did this survey go up? I missed it... =/

Me too, but not 9 times.

Worth mentioning, that with the several thousand people who browse the site daily, the results are rather isolated. So, no, we don't have "hard data" to disprove the "you want piracy" shtick. We also can't take into account how many of these results are white lies.

Of course, in the long game, it's rather obvious that more people bought the system for the enjoyment of something new.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: Darth Meteos

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, it was only a nantuple post.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

This has got to be a new record!

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
P-values? Confidence intervals? The standard tests that determine statistical significance. While certain percentages are greater than others, those differences are meaningless without proving their significance.
I made an informal survey that is designed to be a block of data that I can pull percentages from. I am not trying to prove a hypothesis, that would require much more work and is not in my nature. If you are looking for mathematical/scientific analysis of this information, it will likely not come from me. I made some conclusions based upon the data which you can deny utterly based upon lack of evidence. My primary motivation is to generate discussion.

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
AND HERE WE GO, IT'S THE DARTH METEOS SUPERSHOW, LIVE FROM THE SWITCH FORUM
THIS TIME, WE'RE AN ACTUAL THREAD, IT'S VERY EXCITING, VERY EXCITING

Don't worry, I won't be making this too casual, there's some real data to be shared! I'll start with the actual numbers, then we'll get into the actual results, that is to say, the conclusions that can be drawn from this.
Note: I was going to leave the survey up for a week, but after about 2 hours, the results correlated to the percentages with pleasing certitude. I would not have called it so early if I wasn't satisfied that no change to any of the results was being made. If you are interested in more metrics in relation to this survey, please feel free to PM me.
Monthly Breakdowns
Launch: 61
April 2017: 5
May 2017: 4
June 2017: 0
July 2017: 2
August 2017: 2
September 2017: 3
October 2017: 9
November 2017: 0
December 2017: 9
January 2018: 9
February 2018: 5
March 2018: 6
April 2018: 10
May 2018: 11
June 2018: 2

Yearly Breakdowns
2017: 103
2018: 49

69 people chose not to respond.

NOTE: Some answers were not included in the monthly breakdown due to lack of data, but are included in yearly breakdowns, 14 of them, to be precise. There are also a few that are not included due to being insufficient to make a judgement about- IE: 'No comment', 'hopes of diablo iii' or 'Quack Quack'
(yes someone did answer Quack Quack. It's not even the dumbest thing on this survey. You've been warned.)
This was a question where respondents could select more than one answer, as well as add their own responses. The custom responses are- with the exception of two of them- retreads of answers provided, so the custom responses will be omitted.

Game Library: 75.7% of respondents responded affirmatively. (168 people)
Console Concept: 68.9% of respondents responded affirmatively. (153 people)
Hacking Opportunities (Homebrew): 58.6% of respondents responded affirmatively. (130 people)
I'm a Nintendo Loyalist: 42.3% of respondents responded affirmatively. (94 people)
Piracy Opportunities: 39.2% of respondents responded affirmatively. (87 people)
Your Friends Own the Console: 11.7% of respondents responded affirmatively. (26 people)
This question has been omitted, as results wander and the question was not specific enough to gather efficient data. I take full responsibility for this.
This was a question where respondents could select more than one answer, as well as add their own responses. Unfortunately, since this is the internet and I used the word 'excite', the custom responses are infested with sexual humor. While I find some of the responses hilarious, they aren't actual data, and will be omitted, bar a few responses I will add below.

Custom Firmware: 81.5% of respondents responded affirmatively. (181 people)
Emulators: 81.5% of respondents responded affirmatively. (181 people- yes it was neck and neck)
Piracy: 63.1% of respondents responded affirmatively. (140 people)
EmuNAND: 55.4% of respondents responded affirmatively. (123 people)
ROM Hacks: 50.5% of respondents responded affirmatively. (112 people)
Media Applications: 42.3% of respondents responded affirmatively. (94 people)
Homebrew Games: 38.7% of respondents responded affirmatively. (86 people)
Linux: 29.3% of respondents responded affirmatively. (65 people)

• Porting Skyrim Special Edition Mods
  • Custom Wallpapers
  • Internal Modchips
  • Game streaming software
  • GameCube Games (several people listed this.)
The results of this test will be listed in two ways;
Firstly, ordered by release date.
Secondly, a selection of the most selected games, and the least selected.
The games included are, admittedly, at my discretion, but I chose all the 'tentpole releases', the games that were considered big releases. I did not include any free games, as I wanted to see what games people actually put money down for. Admittedly, with the recent release of SX OS, the data for Mario Tennis Aces may be skewed, but the remaining games are, as far as I can tell, sufficiently accurate.

IN ORDER OF RELEASE
1,2,Switch!:
46 respondents said they had played it. (20.7%)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: 197 respondents said they had played it. (88.7%)
Puyo Puyo Tetris: 73 respondents said they had played it. (32.9%)
Snipperclips/Snipperclips Plus: 74 respondents said they had played it. (33.3%)
Super Bomberman R: 39 respondents said they had played it. (17.6%)
Mario Kart 8: Deluxe: 154 respondents said they had played it. (69.4%)
Minecraft: 55 respondents said they had played it. (24.8%)
ARMS: 66 respondents said they had played it. (29.7%)
Splatoon 2: 94 respondents said they had played it. (42.3%)
Pokken Tournament DX: 65 respondents said they had played it. (29.3%)
Fire Emblem Warriors: 26 respondents said they had played it. (11.7%)
Super Mario Odyssey: 180 respondents said they had played it. (81.1%)
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: 57 respondents said they had played it. (25.7%)
Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle: 58 respondents said they had played it. (26.1%)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: 61 respondents said they had played it. (27.5%)
Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2: 45 respondents said they had played it. (20.3%)
DOOM: 44 respondents said they had played it. (19.8%)
Kirby Star Allies: 65 respondents said they had played it. (29.3%)
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition: 33 respondents said they had played it. (14.9%)
Nintendo Labo: 11 respondents said they had played it. (5%)
Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze: 44 respondents said they had played it. (19.8%)
Mario Tennis Aces: 52 respondents said they had played it. (23.4%)

FIVE HIGHEST SATURATION RATES
  1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (88.7%)
  2. Super Mario Odyssey (81.1%)
  3. Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (69.4%)
  4. Splatoon 2 (42.3%)
  5. Snipperclips/Snipperclips Plus (33.3%)
FIVE LOWEST SATURATION RATES
  1. Nintendo Labo (5%)
  2. Fire Emblem Warriors (11.7%)
  3. Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition (14.9%)
  4. Super Bomberman R (17.6%)
  5. DOOM/Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze (19.8%)
This question asked for a short response. However, the responses were almost unanimously some variation of: "When it was revealed on YouTube on October 20th, 2016." So expanded results for this question will be omitted; however, if you want a full list of answers, feel free to PM me.
This question called for a 1-10 response, 1 being total dislike of the console, and 10 being single-minded adoration. Here are the responses:
  1. 2 responses. (0.9%)
  2. 1 response. (0.5%)
  3. No responses.
  4. 1 response. (0.5%)
  5. 6 responses. (2.7%)
  6. 9 responses. (4.1%)
  7. 33 responses. (14.9%)
  8. 74 responses. (33.3%)
  9. 53 responses. (23.9%)
  10. 43 responses. (19.4%)
3FD920s.png
The time between the first paragraph and this, though it seems small with those spoilered texts collapsed took TWO. HOURS. Never say I don't love you people.

Too often I see posts that say some variant of "huehue you people just want to pirate games, you're no better than me who RAM hacks Splatoon to have god mode huehue"
Finally- FINALLY this can be disproved with hard data. Less people bought their Switch console for piracy than ones who are just loyal to Nintendo. Less than two thirds are interested in piracy at all. Both of these questions had multiple boxes enabled, so you weren't strapped for choice.

It's true that piracy is on the minds of many. But it is not the primary reason people are on this website. The overwhelming response on why you bought the Switch was the games, and yet little more than half as many people bought the console to pirate those games, and that's not even accounting for the fact that there isn't 100% overlap with those responses. Piracy is a function that many of us take part in, but here is actual data that proves that it is not the motivating factor behind a majority of the people here. The actual responses? "I was interested in the hybrid console concept, I want to play my old console games on the go, I want to expand my Switch's functionality." It's clear that the primary gripe of these people is more stuff to do on the console- which people love! Over three quarters of people responded they love their Switch 8/10 or more!

As far as how this bodes poorly, there is an enormous drop off from the handful of Switch games that everyone seems to like to the rest. It's not surprising, if you ask anyone for Switch games, they'll list off Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2... but then what? Games like Xenoblade 2, Bayonetta 2, Mario + Rabbids, ARMS... Games that people generally recommend, but relatively few are rushing to play. Apart from the top four, almost all the games hover around the late 20th and early 30th percentile, with a few flops in there. This indicates the library is varied and healthy, but also that it lacks must-play titles from post-Odyssey. Pokemon will undoubtedly join the list, as will Smash, but then what? That'll be it until Mario Kart 9- and that's not a surety. Apart from launch, there's no major spikes in sales, outside of the announcement of RCM, which was a nice uptick that is probably just tied to this website.

I'll be talking more about it with you guys in the comments, but those are the two things I really wanted to say. 'Kay, go!
Well for me is piracy and their games, without games piracy is meaningless :P

SexiestManAlive

The key that lights the dark
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i didn't get to answer any of the questions because i didn't know this was a thing anyways, i got my switch in october. The game library, hacking opportunity and me being a Nintendo loyalist lmao, swayed me to buy it. What excited me about homebrew was emulation, piracy, cfw, emunand, media applications, Linux, mods, custom themes, and gamecube games. I played too many games to list and i rate the switch 100/10.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i didn't get to answer any of the questions because i didn't know this was a thing anyways, i got my switch in october. The game library, hacking opportunity and me being a Nintendo loyalist lmao, swayed me to buy it. What excited me about homebrew was emulation, piracy, cfw, emunand, media applications, Linux, mods, custom themes, and gamecube games. I played too many games to list and i rate the switch 100/10.
10/10 means: The Nintendo Switch my best friend and soulmate. The only issue I have with the Nintendo Switch is that I must submit to natural necessities like sleeping without it able to travel with me.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I responded November 2017.....
huh. that's... odd. it's not list-
i-
. . .
*screaming*
*SCREAMING*

the 69 "other" listings are all actual answers, but google sheets has decided to make them invisible unless i go through individual answers
it does not list this as an option, instead hiding the responses
everyone please direct your insults to the retard
survey will be re-created, this failure will inform later success
going to cry now

Reactions: Quantumcat

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
huh. that's... odd. it's not list-
i-
. . .
*screaming*
*SCREAMING*

the 69 "other" listings are all actual answers, but google sheets has decided to make them invisible unless i go through individual answers
it does not list this as an option, instead hiding the responses
everyone please direct your insults to the retard
survey will be re-created, this failure will inform later success
going to cry now
I like you, you're funny

Reactions: Draxzelex

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
i am not joking
i put a lot of effort into this, but not enough
this will be rectified
all criticism will be incorporated into a better product
shut the thread down, please, mods
We have arrived at the bus stop for the EOF, all thread participants please disembark. Thank you, have a nice day.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: you can't turn link into a femboy in tears of the kingdom