Clone microsd like for like

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by peteruk, Oct 7, 2015.

1. peteruk
    OP

peteruk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 26, 2015
    Quick one on microd sd cards

I have 2 64gb Sandisk genuine cards which both work fine

The one in my N3DS atm is loaded with all my cia files, GW emuNAND and all settings etc...

What is the best and most secure way of making a like for like clone (back up) from the one card to the other?

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Sorry should have mentioned, the clone procedure needs to copy the emuNAND partiton also

Last edited by peteruk, Oct 7, 2015
  2. Arithmatics

Arithmatics I'll be holding on to you. ;}

Jan 29, 2009
    Malaysia
    Emunand backup tool

peteruk likes this.
  3. peteruk
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    Will this clone the entire card or just the emuNAND partiton ?

4. TheKawaiiDesu

TheKawaiiDesu Ball of Kawaiiness

Aug 23, 2015
    Korea, North
    Lowee
    Well, I've never used that tool, but even if it only clones the emuNAND partition (seems like the most likely answer) you can just make a backup of all your other files with the good old drag-and-drop-into-a-folder.

peteruk likes this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    If the device specific/device aware stuff will not do it for you then you also have the option of dd -- it is installed in most linux systems (or easily installable if not) and a windows port is available.
    http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

Be careful when you use it as it will overwrite whatever you point it at and that can include hard drives.

weeandykidd and peteruk like this.
  6. peteruk
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    Ok thank you both @Arithmatics and @TheKawaiiDesu

I guess i will have to use that tool, i was really hoping that there was a pc tool (not necessarily written for the 3DS) that clones 1-1 a micro sd card including all partitions

7. DrCrygor07

DrCrygor07 Italian Wario Ware bootleg©

Sep 4, 2014
    Italy
    Win32diskimager

peteruk likes this.
  8. peteruk
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    This sounds more like what i was looking for, a specific pc program that clones like for like, i will give this a try first

thank you @Dr.Crygor 07 for this reccomendation and also @FAST6191

DrCrygor07 likes this.
  9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Yes, I was about to suggest this tool, I've used it myself and it does exactly what you want :)

peteruk likes this.
  10. DrCrygor07

DrCrygor07 Italian Wario Ware bootleg©

Sep 4, 2014
    Italy
    Only one problem, il the two sd cards are of a different size, you need to manually edit the partition

peteruk likes this.
  11. peteruk
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    thank you again @The Real Jdbye i am downloading the program now, fingers crossed

thank you all

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I should be ok as they are both the same make and size (Sandisk 64gb class 10 genuine)

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    That means surprisingly little in my experience -- sector allocation counts/bad sectors (which exist out of the factory) and whatever else can subtly change things. Usually only be a couple of megs but if you are attempting sector level clones...

peteruk likes this.
  13. peteruk
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    Ok thank you, i will follow your advice

14. peteruk
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    Just a very quick feedback, so that this may help others doing the same thing

I used the recommended program Win32diskimager to take an image of my (master) micro sd card and saved it on my laptop, i then used the same program to write it back out to another micro sd card (same manufacturer and size)

The whole thing seems to have worked perfectly, i tried the newly created cloned micro sd card and everything loads as it should, emuNAND and cia's loading fine :)

The benefit for me is that i have been wanting to experiment with reinand and trying to get it to cold boot directly into my emuNAND without using the GW cart but was too worried about messing it all up

Now i have a duplicate test card i can use for trial and error

Thank you to all those that offered advice to me, i really am grateful

15. peteruk
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    The program Win32diskimager that was recommended above has been brilliant for me, can image my internal card to my pc and have it backed up for whenever i need to write it back

Quick question....

I currently have a Sandisk 64gb inside my N3DS and theres only like 2gb free now, - if - i were to purchase a 128gb micro sd (they have had Sandisk on offer locally recently) is there a pc program that would allow me to clone my internal 64gb micro sd to the 128gb and release the extra space ? and is it difficult to do ?

16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Assuming you also cloned the partition as well then you would want to expand the partitions. I normally use gparted for this sort of thing.
    http://gparted.org/

Guide to resizing a partition
    http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name=help-manual#gparted-resize-partition

It will be on basically every linux liveCD, linux based rescue CD and more besides (hiren's, ubcd and such like).

There are some great windows/dos based partitioning tools but gparted is free, works fantastically and is nice and easy to use so I tend not to bother looking for alternatives.

peteruk likes this.
  17. peteruk
    OP

Jun 26, 2015
    @FAST6191 looks like just what the doctor ordered mate, i will certainly go that route when i get the card

thank you for the speedy and informative reply

18. Classicgamer

Classicgamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 20, 2012
    United States
    I want to backup my 128gb msd just so I don't have to spend a week dealing with cia installs ever again lol

peteruk likes this.
  19. tony_2018

tony_2018 GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    I believe you mean '1:1' copy.

peteruk likes this.
  20. cultopi

cultopi GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2015
    United States
    USB image tool