Cleaning PS2 Controller - Odd Piece on Shell?

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by jonthedit, Jun 20, 2013.

1. jonthedit
    OP

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    I've cleaned various controllers in the past but have never seen this odd piece that appears to be built onto the shell.

Would it be okay to submerge this entire shell (shown in the picture) in water without damaging anything?
    (I just want to make sure this odd piece isn't electronic and is just part of the shell)
    image.jpg image.jpg

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It looks like a spacer to me - it just holds down the PCB so that it doesn't move inside the shell. It should be fine, but why submerge the whole shell in water when you could just use a wet piece of cloth or a toothbrush? :P

jonthedit likes this.
  3. jonthedit
    OP

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    I have a few reasons... Mainly because this controller is extremely nasty.
    If I took a higher res photo you'd know what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the info!

4. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    A higher-res photo would also help everyone determine what the hell that thing is. :P

Is the white top some form of a sticker? Is it rubberized? Is it paper? It's definitely there to hold the PCB down, but if glue was used or if the material may not be water-resistant or could soak up water, you might want to avoid getting it wet.

...and, well, to be 100% sure, the easiest way to check if it's electronics or not is to look for contacts, either on the PCB or on the piece itself. :P I doubt it though.

5. jonthedit
    OP

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    It fell off during my extreme scrubbing. No big deal it was rubbery with a light glue. Easy fix.
    It's just odd that, that was my first controller that ever had this strange piece of rubber.