Question Cleaning logs - switch that's never been online

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Naxin, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Naxin
    OP

Naxin Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2018
    Australia
    I've heard many warn about the ban risk of cleaning logs, but from what I understand this is due to the continuity problem.
    I have a bunch of errors logged on my switch from testing early homebrew that I'm concerned about during the update process.

I'd like to upgrade to 6.2.0, and then run Atmosphere with Fusee Gelee. My console has NEVER been online. Currently on 3.0.0, I updated from 1.0.0 via Pokken cartridge. Homebrew was tested
    using custom DNS settings (assuming this wouldn't allow logs to be shared with Ninty)

The question is, if the console has never been online is it SAFE to clear my logs? Plan to do this with Hekate.

2. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower I am you.

Jan 17, 2015
    Canada
    I don't go map findin' behindin'
    Having been faced with the same situation on 3.0.0 with corrupted mii errors, (pegaswitch) I made the choice to clear the logs first and update without burning fuses. 4 months unbanned.

3. Naxin
    OP

Naxin Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2018
    Australia
    Hey Zap, thanks a bunch.

I've launched current version of Hekate and clear logs option doesn't seem to be there as per videos online etc.
    Any idea if this has been removed?

How did you clear your logs?

4. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower I am you.

Jan 17, 2015
    Canada
    https://github.com/Thog/nx-dreport
    You'll see on the issues page why this was deprecated, but since it's a 3.0.0 that you're positive (?) has never been online before, that kip is what worked for me. Delete it after updating.
    Unless you're going 'legit', you should also save your fuses by enabling AutoRCM in hekate, and then using the latest atmosphere to update where AutoRCM won't be overwritten. Also keep a full eMMC backup of your system as it is now, but I've trailed well off topic now.

5. Naxin
    OP

Naxin Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2018
    Australia
    Nah this is all good stuff. A lot of stuff to consider in the situation you and I are/were in if still considering downgrading in the future.
    It's definitely never been online before. The latest official firmware has always been newer than what I've had so there's been no point.

I've done a full NAND backup pre-clearing logs (this is useful to me because I don't plan to go online anytime soon, just update..., who knows what will be revealed in the future).
    Planned to clear logs and then another full NAND backup.

The next steps I planned were to use ChoiDujourNX to upgrade to 5.1.0. I've just ' acquired a fully populated hactool keys file' from my console and I'm now trying to extract
    an update from my Pokemon XCI in prep for the update.

Can you discuss further how AutoRCM has an impact on my fuses and how the latest version of Atmosphere is useful in the update process/fuse management?
    I wasn't aware of any of this.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

After further research, I think I've answered one of these questions myself haha...

Apparently ChoiDuourNX enables AutoRCM by default, and the CFW will never burn fuses, but official will on first boot. Hence the need for AutoRCM.

Zap Rowsdower likes this.
  6. proffk

proffk GBAtemp Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Don't forget updating with choidujour will also disable your game card slot to stop that from burning fuses. I think it prompts you about this.

Naxin and Zap Rowsdower like this.
  7. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower I am you.

Jan 17, 2015
    Canada
    Atmosphere now handles Nogc as well, even automatically based on fuse count. There have been too many retail pricing errors for me to have forgone physical media personally, and I doubt deja vu is using something other than a browser based exploit anyway. I'm also of the persuasion that you would want Nintendo having record of the system having updated, but we're all threading the needle here anyway. Nobody knows for sure.

8. Naxin
    OP

Naxin Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2018
    Australia
    That's great to know the additional safety is there.

Likely final question, far from the original but I'm sure useful if someone follows the same road...

I used 'XCI Explorer' to extract 'update.hfs0' from my Pokemon Lets Go Pikachu XCI. Is this compatible with
    ChoiDujour? It isn't clear the format this should be in or the recommended tool for extracting this from the XCI.

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    There's no kip on that GitHub page anymore because its been depreciated.

10. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower I am you.

Jan 17, 2015
    Canada
    As for the ChoiDujour question, that's not one I can answer as I've been updating online officially.

Attached Files:

Naxin likes this.
  11. Naxin
    OP

Naxin Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2018
    Australia
    Just to tie this thread off, you can find pre-extracted firmwares online if you look. You should end up with a whole bunch of NCA files. Throw this onto your SD Card and that's what ChoiDujour works with. Not sure of the steps to extract these from the 'update.hfs0' file I had but this process is much easier.

I actually decided clearing my logs isn't something I need to do right now, because I don't plan to go online after upgrading. I just wanted to upgrade my OS and I originally thought I would HAVE to go online for this.
    I know using ChoiDujour not only provides a way to upgrade easily without going online, it also protects your ability to downgrade.

The new plan is I'll just flash my OS back to original state when I decide to go legit, and THEN clear my logs if nothing changes.

Last edited by Naxin, Dec 9, 2018