Hardware Circle Pad range fixing - any tips?

HelpTheWretched

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So the Circle Pad on my Old 3DS XL is slightly boned - it doesn't register the full range to the left. In other words, if I hold it all the way to the left, it acts like I'm only holding it half-way. Diagonal up-left and down-left work fine.

Shortly before this started, the same thing was happening when holding the Circle Pad down, except in that case, I could feel it getting stuck. It felt like the part of the Circle Pad on the inside on the system was catching on a rim. I wiggled it pretty forcefully and got it moving around just fine again, but the next day I got this problem with holding left. It might be the same issue but I can't feel it getting stuck like I could before.

Anyway, just looking for any tips or suggestions before I try opening up the system. I really don't know what to expect or what to be especially careful about, or what tools might be needed.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the Circle Pad on my Old 3DS XL is slightly boned - it doesn't register the full range to the left. In other words, if I hold it all the way to the left, it acts like I'm only holding it half-way. Diagonal up-left and down-left work fine.

Shortly before this started, the same thing was happening when holding the Circle Pad down, except in that case, I could feel it getting stuck. It felt like the part of the Circle Pad on the inside on the system was catching on a rim. I wiggled it pretty forcefully and got it moving around just fine again, but the next day I got this problem with holding left. It might be the same issue but I can't feel it getting stuck like I could before.

Anyway, just looking for any tips or suggestions before I try opening up the system. I really don't know what to expect or what to be especially careful about, or what tools might be needed.
Buy a replacement Circle Pad off eBay/aliexpress/dx/FocalPrice

HelpTheWretched

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Buy a replacement Circle Pad off eBay/aliexpress/dx/FocalPrice
Thanks, I hadn't heard of 2 of those sites.

Thing is, my Circle Pad might be fixable, and if I buy a new one I'm gonna have to break open the 3DS anyway.

Yes I could do a Google search for info but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone knows of a good place for instructions. :P

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I hadn't heard of 2 of those sites.

Thing is, my Circle Pad might be fixable, and if I buy a new one I'm gonna have to break open the 3DS anyway.

Yes I could do a Google search for info but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone knows of a good place for instructions. :P
Ifixit.com

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1