cIOS and more

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by trashcan889, Nov 11, 2008.

Nov 11, 2008

cIOS and more by trashcan889 at 9:12 PM (2,105 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. trashcan889
    OP

Newcomer trashcan889 Newbie

United States
    I saw wiigator has a backup loader out and I had a few questions. One is the cIOS. what is it and what does it do? my early understanding is that it is basicly the nentendo update file that had been modfied. also i see alot of wii backup loaders out but they are all bata. is there any final out?

2. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    cIOS means "Custom Internal Operative System", on the Wii you can install 255 IOS, Wanin and WiiGators use 249 (or 247), if you go to this thread http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=114247 , you can download what ever cIOS and loader you want, every loader needs an especific cIOS, by example, how do I have my Wii??

Backup Launcher WiiGator0.1
    cIOS_fix_247.wad
    Launcher 0.1 for IOS247
    DVDx on IOS 247

Backup Launcher WiiGator0.3
    read_retry_cIOS249
    launcher for 0.3 IOS249

this is done so I can have more compatibility ('till BUL0.3 gamma comes out), e.g. Star Wars TFU, only work decrypted on v0.1, and other games work better on v0.3 copied 1:1 without decrypting (patching), got it?

3. trashcan889
    OP

United States
    Im not sure of installing custom inernal operating system. is there a boot loader that does not require installtion of a custom OS?

4. xil

Newcomer xil Member

United States
    boot loader as in homebrew loader? than yes, your best example would be the homebrew channel.

if you mean backup launcher than no, i'm reasonably sure that they all require a cIOS.

5. trashcan889
    OP

United States
    so I did more research and I guess the custom internal operating systems are pretty stable. also what I have read they dont seem to be to difficult to install. one of my major concerns is after I cIOS my system how difficult is it to UN cIOS my system. before you ask why would you want to UN cIOS my system is because as new games come out I may want to undo the changes and have Nintendo update my system without them bricking it, then possibly remodfing it. I like to see how different things work so I often mod then de-mod and then re-mod something different just for fun.

6. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    uncIOSing, which by the way is an awesome new word, is extremely easy, for 2 reasons:

-new IOS of the same number (249,247,5,254,etc.) overwrite each other
    -they are easily removed by anytitle deleter/wad manager assuming it works on your system.

as a third
    -most installers will uninstall it, too.

AND, thanks for doing some research and asking a not-stupid question.