OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey Guys.

I have an question about cias.

I have a eu 3ds xl and i want to play my games as cias on it. Do the cias need to be of the same region as my 3ds or is it only important for online play?

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
Slightly OT but I wonder if anyone can answer this. If I download an update from eshop (SSMB4 for example) on my EUR 3ds will it work with a region free US CIA version of the game installed?

Thanks for any help!

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That is great =)

What about the Online playability of those .cias?
And can i update a regionfree .cia game with a region locked .cia update?

Well Im not sure if you can cross region the TUs but if you have a PAL console and a PAl game the eShop update will work without any problems. I know this because Ive downloaded an update for OR right before I started the game and everything including online functionality works fine til date ;)

Darnas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well Im not sure if you can cross region the TUs but if you have a PAL console and a PAl game the eShop update will work without any problems. I know this because Ive downloaded an update for OR right before I started the game and everything including online functionality works fine til date ;)

Ok then i have to try out if it is possible to install for example a EU Update.cia on a EU 3ds for a regionfree US game.cia ^^
I want to avoid the eshop just to be safe. Who knows what nintendo comes up with in the future.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ok then i have to try out if it is possible to install for example a EU Update.cia on a EU 3ds for a regionfree US game.cia ^^
I want to avoid the eshop just to be safe. Who knows what nintendo comes up with in the future.

You can always download the updates as .cia and install them without ever needing to access eShop.

Darnas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
You can always download the updates as .cia and install them without ever needing to access eShop.

Exactly ^^
The question is if i am able to play online with a regionfree us game.cia wich was updated with a eu update.cia on a eu console ^^

My apologies if i ask stupid questions XD

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Hey Guys.
I have an question about cias.
I have a eu 3ds xl and i want to play my games as cias on it. Do the cias need to be of the same region as my 3ds or is it only important for online play?

Most are region free but they do need to be the same region.

the only reason to make a cia region free is so it works on any region of that leaked 4.5 CFW (if you use gw, gw does not care about region), and also so that the icon on home menu will not have to be unwrapped each time you boot up, if the game is thw wrong region for your system.
you can play online regardless of the region of the game.
guitarheroknight - it is nice you are trying to help, but make sure you really understand what you are talking about before you share information, not trying to be rude sorry :(

Reactions: Obi123

Darnas

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the only reason to make a cia region free is so it works on any region of that leaked 4.5 CFW (if you use gw, gw does not care about region), and also so that the icon on home menu will not have to be unwrapped each time you boot up, if the game is thw wrong region for your system.
guitarheroknight - it is nice you are trying to help, but make sure you really understand what you are talking about before you share information

I thank both of you for your help =)

Does the region of the update file matter? It must be i think, because of the contents of the update.

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
I thank both of you for your help =)

Does the region of the update file matter? It must be i think, because of the contents of the update.

some updates work for all regions, like pokemon x y/oras, mari kart 7 too i think, but most need the correct matching region :)
-- but that is no problem, i am sure you will be able to find everything you need!

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
guitarheroknight - it is nice you are trying to help, but make sure you really understand what you are talking about before you share information, not trying to be rude sorry :(

I know what he meant but I have no idea regarding his question since the region free .cia files are modified to remove the region lock, so I told him just to be safe to download the update only if the .cia game corresponds to his console region. I dont see any permanent harm done to the console itself but you never know what would happen, I mean I would hate if the update deleted his saves or something :ha:

BTW when I said "they do need to be the same region" I meant the .cia game and the update from eshop.

nine0nine

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
You can play out of region games, but under certain circumstances you will need to unwrap the game every time you turn on your 3DS, its better to get region free or better still, one specific to the region of your console.

If you run an out of region game on your machine, even if it has been region free'd, I dont think updates will work.

supermario18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well... I used the 3ds to cia converter with a decrypted Ultimate NES Remix 3ds file. THe cia does show up in FBI along with the icon and title. And I don't have a CFW. (FW: 10.5-30U)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hammer the threads