CIA installed games show as "gift boxes" every time

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Jedis, May 27, 2015.

1. Jedis
    OP

Jedis Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2009
    United States
    Hello,

I used BBM to install a couple dozen CIA files onto my emuNAND. Every time I shut down the 3DS and turn it back on again, and boot into emuNAND, the icons are back to the "gift boxes".

How do I permanently get them to show their own icons?

2. dedChar

dedChar (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

May 5, 2015
    Gambia, The
    This means your NANDs are linked. Just format your sysNAND without having the 3ds's sdcard in place.

3. Jedis
    OP

Jedis Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2009
    United States
    Is that a bad thing that they're linked? Any other side effects due to them being linked? I don't remember choosing anything to tell it to link them. Is that just the default?

4. dedChar

dedChar (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

May 5, 2015
    Gambia, The
    yeah, it's the default. No, it's not bad (besides that gift box thing). I think other side effects were Themes being shared and wifi settings, i think.

5. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    I prefer them linked tbh I like having my Games share saves between nands

Kafke likes this.
  6. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    this, plus to format your sysnand it makes you go on-line first with your console too.

7. Typhin

Typhin GBAtemp Fan

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
    emuNand starts off linked to sysNand because when it's created, it's an exact copy of your sysNand. So it uses the same ID and keys and such as sysNand, so they use the same files on the SD card. When you format one of them, it causes it to create a new ID for itself, so they become unlinked.

Having them linked allows things installed on one to be visible to the other, like things downloaded from the eShop, though I think there's a separate step involved (because I think title.db and other files are on internal memory instead of the SD card). I'm not too clear on the process, I didn't leave mine linked. Since I never use sysNand for anything other than reaching emuNand, I formatted it and always use only emuNand. I would recommend reading the guides on the subject and deciding whether you want to keep them linked or whether you want to unlink them.

8. Jedis
    OP

Jedis Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 10, 2009
    United States
    Thank you all for your suggestions. It sounds like I will leave them linked for the convenience factor.