Hacking CIA installations suddenly slow

fatsquirrel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,
I was fiddling with my n3ds today and everything was fine.
Then I went to install a CIA (of a game that i own) and it took LONG. Like 2 times longer than usual for the same size file. My micro sd card is a legit SanDisk bought from a legit shop. Is there anyway I can check if its sd card that is dying or simply this CIA has many files (I imagine cia as a rar, correc me if wrong) that needs to be installed/unpacked?

Edit:
Using latest injected FBI on a9lh with n3ds.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It probably just has a lot of files. Imagine a cia as a self extracting zip/rar.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

A bunch of little files aleays takes longer to process than a few large ones.

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I got same problem weeks ago.

I was installing games fast more then 1mbs/s. Suddenly its become slow. About .
0.25mbs/s

Tested lot of games. Small or bigger.

So i copied all entire card to pc. Formated 32kbs and theb copied back. Become normal again. I dont know whats happens. But happened with me twice with 2 different new 3ds.

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeh i know that.

But weird because every time i need to remove games to install new ones ill get slow speed.

I used to copy all files from sd card then format and copy back to solve the problem. Defrag will be faster?
Idk, just try :P

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a fragmentation problem, try Defrag to solve it.
NO. You should NEVER defrag flash memory. What you can do is backup the data on the SD, format the SD and then transfer everything back. I don't remember exactly why you shouldn't defrag flash memory, but I do know it can actually lower the lifespan of it.

Reactions: Redirr

Redirr

X11 Extreme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
NO. You should NEVER defrag flash memory. What you can do is backup the data on the SD, format the SD and then transfer everything back. I don't remember exactly why you shouldn't defrag flash memory, but I do know it can actually lower the lifespan of it.
It's was what i did first time its happened. I backup my SD card and then format again and copied back. It's solved the problem.

But why it's happens? All the time i remove some heavy games and need to install new ones i need to do this!!

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's was what i did first time its happened. I backup my SD card and then format again and copied back. It's solved the problem.

But why it's happens? All the time i remove some heavy games and need to install new ones i need to do this!!
Its the way file systems work. When you delete a game, that data doesn't go away, but rather is flagged so the system knows it is okay to overwrite that data. When new files overwrite that data, they don't always fit, so the rest is put on a separate location of the medium. When files get separated like this, they are fragmented. Which affects data much more on SD cards than other storage devices from some reason.

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
While you should never defrag flash memory, you should never format flash memory, so if you really want to format it, why don't you defrag it?
It's true that defrag decreases life of flash memories, but so does formatting.

Last edited by Mazamin,

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While you should never defrag flash memory, you should never format flash memory, so if you really want to format it, why don't you defrag it?
It's true that defrag decreases life of flash memories, but so does formatting.
Only if you do a full format. The standard format tool for windows does what is called a quick format, which only recreates the partition table iirc. I could be wrong, but afaik only recreating the partition table. I could be using the wrong terms because I haven't studied them in a while, but I do know the quick format option won't have the same effect as a full format or a defrag.

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Only if you do a full format. The standard format tool for windows does what is called a quick format, which only recreates the partition table iirc. I could be wrong, but afaik only recreating the partition table. I could be using the wrong terms because I haven't studied them in a while, but I do know the quick format option won't have the same effect as a full format or a defrag.
Yes, that's true. But if you want full speed I think you need a full format, because it wipes the data, correct me if I'm wrong.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte