Checkmate A1500 Plus (2018) Amiga/PC Case Kickstarter

Discussion in 'Other Consoles & Oldies' started by tech3475, Sep 22, 2018.

1. tech3475
    OP

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    I've decided to post this for anyone interested as it's nearly over (10 days as of posting) and I couldn't see any other mention of it, those who watch RetroManCave may be aware of the unofficial Checkmate A1500 from back in the day and one of the people behind that (Stephen Jones) has decided to make a 'modern' version of the case based around the look of the A3000 which can take certain PC/Amiga 500/600/1200 motherboards and put it into a desktop style form factor (remember those ;) ?).

Here's a link to the Kickstarter for anyone who may be interested:
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/483774293/amiga-3000-inspired-modular-amiga-pc-desktop-compu/

Youtube links:
    RetroManCave A1500 video:
    Stephen Jones (includes various QA videos): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_8lkByJmwbOszev0S-LuRg

Note: I'm unaffiliated with the project other than being a backer myself.

Obviously it is a Kickstarter and it's still a gamble in terms of delivery as they usually are, although I backed simply because this is one of the few/only cases of this type I've seen in this form factor.

2. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    But not as big of a gamble as most other projects. It doesn't involve any complex or experimental technology, or make any outlandish claims. It's just a box and a couple screws. They already have the design, all they have to do is send them to a manufacturer. I mean there is still some risk but it's comparably small.

3. tech3475
    OP

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    The KS is really because they need the mold made for the front panel.

That’s another reason why I backed it since this should be relatively simple, but I still felt that I should give the warning.

4. tech3475
    OP

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    My hardware amiga days are a thing of the past (emulation all the way for me) but I had not heard that story before so thanks for that one.

Design wise it is not bad, however too many people I know that would even were scarred by the beige box era and that evokes it a bit much. Nice to see people playing to various form factors again though.