CHANGED GAMES ON SD NOW WONT WORK, GET MESSAGE 'MENU?'

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by thomaskerrya, Feb 21, 2009.

1. thomaskerrya
    OP

Newcomer thomaskerrya Newbie

United States
    PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?!

MY DSTT WORKED PERFECTLY WELL UNTIL I CHANGED THE GAMES ON IT. NOW WHEN I LOAD IT ALL I GET IS A MESSAGE 'MENU?' ON THE TOP SCREEN OF THE DS. I TRIED RE-FORMATING THE SD CARD, RE-DOWNLOADED THE LATEST FIRMWARE, RELOADED THE SD CARD WITH THE FILES AND GAMES AND STILL SAME PROBLEM!

THE ONLY OTHER THING I HAVE DONE LATELY IS TO DOWNLOAD AND USE AN EMULATOR WITH SOME OF THE GAMES WHICH HAS CAUSED THE GAME FILE NAMES ICONS TO CHANGE ON MY COMPUTER, BUT THEY ARE STILL .NDS FILES SO I DIDN'T THINK THAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM?

PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP? (INCIDENTALLY, WHEN I TRY MY OTHER DAUGHTER'S SD CARD IT WORKS PERFECTLY WELL IN EITHER OF THE TWO DSTT CARTS WE HAVE.)

2. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    It sounds as though you have corrupted the microSD card. You should always use "safely remove hardware" before removing the microSD card from your PC, and you shouldn't format it using the Windows format program. Follow these steps:[*]Use the Panasonic formatter to reformat your microSD card: http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/d..._formatter.html[*]Grab the official 1.17 menu from here (but do NOT install TTMENU.DAT from it as it contains the fake-killer code!!!): http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4476[*]Copy the TTMENU folder (but not TTMENU.DAT) from the official firmware to your microSD card.[*]Grab this archive: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?download=4086[*]Copy all four files from the archive to your microSD card.[*]Make a folder named "games" on your microSD card. Copy 2 or 3 games (.nds files) to the new "games" folder.[*]Run "safely remove hardware", select your microSD reader in the list, and press STOP before removing your microSD card from your PC.[*]Insert your DSTT into the NDS. Insert your microSD card into the DSTT. Turn on the NDS.[*]Run the DsttFlashChecker program to see if you have a real or a fake DSTT. If you have a fake DSTT and suspect that it may have been destroyed by the official fake-killer firmware, run the DsttFlashWriter program to re-flash your DSTT.[*]You should be able to run your games now. You can delete DsttFlashChecker.nds, DsttFlashWriter.nds, and DSTTDUMP.BIN from your microSD card if you want.[*]Always keep the following in mind:
    • Always leave some free space on your microSD card for save files and system files.
    • Always put games into your "games" folder. Also, put homebrew into a folder. Leave as few files as possible on the root of your microSD card.
    • Always use "safely remove hardware" to remove your microSD card from your PC.
    • Use the Panasonic formatter if you ever have to reformat.
    • Make sure you don't use the official TTMENU.DAT (particularly if you have a fake) because it contains fake-killer code.
    From your description, the problem does NOT sound like you have destroyed a fake cart with the fake-killer code, so you can skip step 9 for now. But pay special attention to step 11 -- I'm guessing you didn't do one or more of those things which has caused the corruption of the microSD card.

-Bri

3. thomaskerrya
    OP

United States
    Hi Bri,

Thanks, I downloaded the panasonic formatter, then followed your instructions very carefully but I am still getting the same problem. I'm usually pretty good at disconnecting the usb port before removing it, but I suppose I could have made a mistkate.

Do you think I've killed my sd card? Esp as our other sd card still works perfectly well?

K.

4. thomaskerrya
    OP

United States
    Update Bri, WORKING !!! YAY!!!

I used the panasonic formatter again and did a total, format everything thoroughly, run on the card. I then followed all your instructions again and yay, it works now! It is a genuine card, that checked out ok too.

When I use 'safely remove hardware', and it tells me it is safe to remove, I usually close the box before I unplug the usb, and this time I unplugged it then closed the box, I wonder if that makes a difference? Either way I'll do it like that from now on!

Thank you for your help, and thank you this wonderful website - I would be nowhere without it!

Many thanks and big smiles.

Kerry

5. Bri

Member Bri GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    After it says "it is now safe to remove hardware" you can disconnect (it's already re synced the microSD card by then). It shouldn't matter if you close the box first or not once you see that message.

There are other ways a microSD card can get corrupted, such as not putting your games in a "games" folder, not leaving enough free space on the microSD card, and even hardware problems with either the microSD card itself or the microSD reader (the ones that come with flash carts are notoriously crappy).

You're welcome for the help (glad you got it working!) but I cannot take credit for the entire web site.

-Bri